• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Real Mortal Coils

My little patch of African bush which with the help of Mashona & Matabele friends after much effort, has been converted into an aircraft landing area but has now suddenly become unusable due to some idiot offloading his drogue towline all over the place. I don't know how much there is but it appears to be lying everywhere.
    I get help from 3 or 4 natives to start collecting a vast number of coils of wire. An Oxford approaches. The pilot wishes to take-off. I indicate that he cannot. Eventually his irritation takes control, both engines full revs & he's away. Tail is soon fully up. Oh no! I suddenly realise he's picking up the coils of wire, they're hanging from his tail wheel. Now airborne there's no stopping him. Then, am suddenly aware of swishing noises all around me. The coils of wire are lifting off & disappearing at incredible speed. Without knowing I could be standing in the middle of one & very neatly cut in half, probably without noticing much difference except I'd be leaking in places ! I decide not to ' shuffle off these mortal coils.' ( Hamlet III. I. 67 ) & after screaming at my helpers to run, do the same myself. ( they win ).

It did occur to me afterwards that if I'd stood still I could have made it into the Guinness Book of Records - not many, if any, would have 'gone' this way. Quite original when you think about it.
Working...
X