X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Peter Matthiessen 1927 - 2014

Peter Matthiessen is the author of The Snow Leopard, his account of a trek in the Nepal Himalaya with George Schaller in the 1970s. It's an inspiring and moving account of an inward as well as physical journey, following the death of his wife from cancer. It influenced me considerably. Although it's the only work of his that I've read he has an extensive oeuvre. He died yesterday in New York.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

If you don't know Matthiessen's work, this New Yorker article may whet your appetitite.

Comment

• Belgrove
      • Nov 2010

It was reading The Snow Leopard that prompted my trekking holiday to Nepal. Dolpo was inaccessible then, but I still retain the vivid memory of gazing from the lower levels of Annapurna at the massive bulk of Dhaulagiri which guards that secret place. It is awesome and beautiful mountain, one seems to almost sense it's gravitational pull (I even listened to The Alpine Symphony then, which somehow lacked the required grandeur). It's a beautiful, vivid and very spiritual book.

His book The Cloud Forest, is an equally lyrical account about Amazonia. A scary place full of toxic flora and fauna. There is even a truly horrible Amazon bum fish, which would certainly put one off from taking a dip.

He was one of the very great travel writers.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

I agree with all your write, Belgrove (except about the bum fish) - I read The Snow Leopard twice before trekking the Annapurna circuit in 2010; and once since. What is so fascinating about it is its perfect blend of travelogue, exploration of personal development (including bereavement) and meditation - so that the book itself becomes a meditation on life, survival, death.

I took a quick snap of Dhaulagiri on my trek - it turned out the best of about 400 (mostly carefully composed) shots I took on the trip! While walking around Annapurna, I read Maurice Herzog's account of the first ascent of Annapurna by a French team, and his summiting.

The obits make me want to read next The Tree Where Man Was Born and Far Tortuga; his last novel, In Paradise, is out shortly.

Comment

Working...
        X