Strange Happenings on the Isle of Barra, Outer Hebrides.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

Strange Happenings on the Isle of Barra, Outer Hebrides.

A repeat of this tale for those who missed out first time round.

Around about 1964 - 1965, working as a film cameraman with the BBC, I was involved in making a film on the Isle of Barra in the Outer Hebrides, well-known as the island where the plane lands on the beach. The purpose of this film was to indicate the benefits of tourism to the Scottish economy. In one particular scene we were to film a pair of visitors to the island leaving a small cottage, having made the purchase of a bale of cloth from the occupier. The camera was set up in the road outside, the people were to emerge from the front door, stand talking for a few moments & then walk out of shot.

During the first ' take ' there was a shout from the sound recordist, his recorder, although it has a governing device, was running at an incredible speed with loops of tape spilling off in all directions. Eventually, the recorder having been stopped, cleared of tape debris & cleaned & it's mechanism found to be functioning correctly, we re-started the filming. Within a minute or so I was aware of grinding & grating sounds within the camera. We stopped filming again & on investigation I found the film was literally being chewed - up by the camera. There was a further break in the proceedings whilst I endeavoured to find a reason for the malfunctioning of the camera but as with the recorder it appeared to behave normally again. These faults might well be regarded as coincidence & we had no reason to believe otherwise, except that they were quite untypical of any experienced at any time, both by myself & colleagues.

Ultimately, filming re-started & all went well. However, after we had completed this particular scene the director queried an aspect of the speech which might prove difficult to edit. In order to check this the recordist rewound the tape & prepared to replay the recorded voices through a portable speaker.
    On switching on we heard our own voices, then the ' clapperboard ' & instead of speech from our ' cast ', total silence, the tape had no sound on it !
    During filming the recordist listens to the recorded sound on headphones & had heard the entire conversation between the persons concerned. What he hears comes from the playback head, not what is going into the recorder but that which has already been recorded onto the tape. Incidentally, there is no facility for erasing a tape on this type of machine.

We were all so confused & bewildered by now that the decision was made to return to our hotel in Castlbay & have lunch & a drink ( or two! ).

Whilst helping to ' wrap-up ' the gear I was approached by an elderly man , also staying at our hotel. Having explained that he & his wife were leaving the island that afternoon & having a couple of shots left in his camera, he decided to finish off his roll of film on some scenes to include the cottage with the film crew in the foreground, although at a considerable distance away. I mentioned in passing that I hoped his photos would turn out alright & would be a pleasant souvenir of his visit to Barra. He shrugged his shoulders, shook his head & said, " You know, the strangest thing has just happened, if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it." It was then I felt the proverbial hairs rising on the back of my neck !

Having exposed his last two shots, he then wound on the film. The camera was an ancient 120 roll film folding model with bellows & had been in his possession for many years. When he opened the back of the camera the film literally ' shot out '( his words ), fell to the ground & unrolled completely.
    On examining the camera I found as expected that the film is prevented from becoming too loose by contact with a rather flimsy ' leaf ' spring. About as much strength as a leaf on a tree ! And totally unable to cause it to be ejected. I also dropped & threw the film to the ground but it showed no inclination to unwind more than an inch or so, certainly not in the manner he described to me.

Return to our base in Glasgow. All equipment checked & tested. No faults could be diagnosed, recorder, tape & camera. All in excellent condition & remained so for very many years.

p.s. Several years later I attended a series of lectures on the paranormal by prof. Archie Roy of Glasgow University. I informed him of my experiences.
    " Would I please tell my story to the class ? " Of course I would & when finished & thanked profusely, he addessed the class;

" You have just been listening to an absolutely classic description of examples of poltergeist activity. "

( Who am I to argue with such a man - gamba )

As a matter of interest & for the record this item appeared in ' Paranormal Review, ' Journal of the ' Society for Psychical Research ' January 2002.
    Last edited by gamba; 31-03-14, 14:47.
  • amateur51

Blimey gamba!

Mind you, relating such happenings must do wonders for the Scotch whisky industry - a wee dram? Don't mind if I do!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Gavin Maxwell's [he of "Ring of Bright Water"] last volume of autobiography, "Raven Seek Thy Brother" includes a chapter on supernatural happenings in the Highlands.

What's the geology like on Barra? No chance of funny business by magnetism, as in N Skye, I suppose?

Great story whatever the explanation!

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Yes. Super story.

Isn't there a story that whenever the original 'Frankenstein' sets are used in Hollywood the firsts days filming always results in blank film? Not sure where I read this but it may have been in an article published when Mel Brooks used them for filming 'Young Frankenstein'.

Comment

• Don Petter

As Private Fraser used to say ‘I mind the time when I was a wee bit laddie on the Isle o’ Barra, a wild an’ lonely place ye understand ...’

‘We’re all doomed, doomed.’

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

A fascinating story, gamba. You weren't by any chance working on the Sabbath? I ask this in all seriousness, as stranger things have happened.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
              A fascinating story, gamba. You weren't by any chance working on the Sabbath? I ask this in all seriousness, as stranger things have happened.
              Barra is Catholic (+ has fine gardens as seems to be protected in its own microclimate by gulf stream) not at all barren but rather green - the Calvinist islands are Harris/Lewis (really one island) - Stornaway on sabbath used to have little more life than a graveyard tho now I understand the ferry operates and papers arrive rather than being dropped by helicopter as the airport was shut on Sabbaths

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

mangerton,

An interesting comment. Barra is mainly RC, attend Mass & then do as you like. The isles to the north, Harris & Lewis are largely ' wee free ' & have, as I'm sure you know a much more severe interpretation of what the Sabbath means.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Why not encourage the poltergeist to deliver the Sunday papers?

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Frances, gamba - yes, good point. I was forgetting. You can read about these marked differences in Sir Compton McKenzie's Whisky Galore.

About newspapers - I remember buying a Sunday newspaper in the 70s in a furtive fashion from the back of an estate car parked in a Portree side street.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

About newspapers - I remember buying a Sunday newspaper in the 70s in a furtive fashion from the back of an estate car parked in a Portree side street.
                      Thank you for sharing this reminiscence! Whenever people today complain about "human rights abuses" in Russia or the Middle East or North Korea, I always remind myself of life in the UK within recent memory.

Comment

• gamba
                        Late member
                        • Dec 2010

mangerton,

I have just 'googled' re. Barra & psychic occurrences & come up with an interesting film about a small boy living in Glasgow who is conscious of having a family living on Barra. So much of what he 'knows' & 'remembers ' is correct & yet he has never been there. Quite amazing.

Do we accept that which we cannot prove ? I don't know & probably never will.

I have experienced telepathy, which was enough to open my mind to the probable existence of other ' unlikely ' forms of communication.

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

I'm not sure either, but I have experienced some strange occurrences during my life, some quite close to home.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

There is a book (there's always a book) called Strange Things - the story of Fr Allan McDonald of Eriskay, an Englishwoman called Ada Goodrich Freer and the Society for Psychical Research's enquiry into Highland Second Sight.
                            What could have been an interesting story is instead a badly written hatchet job of Ms Freer and her activities for the SPR - although it does attempt to bridge the gap between the late Victorian spiritualists (Conan Doyle, Houdini et al) and the world of spirit of those isolated isles, and does manage to evoke an atmosphere of sorts, although why the authors should focus on the denigration of Ms Freer to quite the extent they do is beyone me.
                            The documented events happened at the end of the 19th Century, many of these stories are collected from earlier times.
                            Whether you think this is all utter tosh or do retain an open mind, this book may be worth seeking out mainly for the (hopefully) faithful reproductions in Section IV which includes some of Fr Allan McDonald's own experiences - some of which are on Barra, although even these are collected stories from possibly unreliable witnesses (viz: 3 lads pursued by creatures that changed shapes, a 'strange creature' seen on Currachan rocks - bearing striking similarities to a walrus..)

I've checked the motif-index of the stories: no repeats of the incident described by Gamba (plenty of mysterious voices, uncanny noises, mysterious lights) only one that seemed remotely similar - a spinning wheel that worked by itself.

Somewhere in the badly edited mish-mash there is a terrific story with great filmic qualities -

Comment

• Boilk
                              • Dec 2010

More strange happenings relating to Barra.

This thread reminds me of a c.2006 Channel 5 documentary entitled "The Boy Who Lived Before" in which Cameron, a 5-year old boy, inexplicably remembers another life on the isle of Barra, to where he has never been nor could conceivably have knowledge of in his present life. Memories include his then-parents, siblings, the beach by his house and the nearby aeroplane landing strip. Cameron is insistent that he really lived this other life, and longs for it terribly. His mother doesn't know what to make of these apparent memories. Cameron's unhappiness leads her to consult a child psychiatrist and a researcher into children's "past-life memories". The psychiatrist accompanies boy and mother to Barra and finally learn the truth. Haunting stuff...

[addendum - have just seen gamba's acknowledgement of this film in the post above]

Comment

Working...
                              X