Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Eh????

Oh, yeah -
    Thank you.

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      This has become rather off-topic, but I would venture to suggest that what you claim is something of an illusion in the actual act of performing, on the one hand, musical scores with convention stressing concentration on conductor and score; or, on the other, pop or rock music, where primitivisation of means and deification of the artists involved often precedes musical content and assumes a rallying point for purposes of mass manipulation. In both cases an element of distancing exists which a jazz or improvised music performance overcomes by virtue of the improvised element prioritising the unexpected and the unexpected a degree of attention on the part of audiences that is not required of predetermined performances, and in which creative spontaneous interactivity and elicited attention draws listeners into a co-determined musical conviviality that can actually inform the level of musicianship and spiritual fulfilment deriving therefrom in performance. As I am sure french frank would agree.
      I've no doubt that she would, as she doesn't appear to appreciate the shared experience.

I, however, completely disagree. I assume that, if you were a performer, you wouldn't appreciate applause, even at the end of your performance?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        I've no doubt that she would, as she doesn't appear to appreciate the shared experience.

I, however, completely disagree. I assume that, if you were a performer, you wouldn't appreciate applause, even at the end of your performance?
        I would be delighted, but surprised, Floss.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          As I am sure french frank would agree.
          And it might explain why a jazz concert doesn't appeal ...

OTOH, my musical memory is so poor that all performances have an element of surprise, even if I've heard the work several times before
          Last edited by french frank; 24-03-14, 19:44. Reason: Curses! S_A has quoted my spelling mistake.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            And it might explain why a jazz concert doesn't appeal ...

OTOH, my musical memory is so poor that all performances have an elemment of surprise, even if I've heard the work several times before
            They probably do - if one listens properly.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              OTOH, my musical memory is so poor that all performances have an element of surprise, even if I've heard the work several times before
              Rather like me reading Agatha Christie.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Only 3 days until they dismantle the "pop-up" studio.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Only 3 days until they dismantle the "pop-up" studio.
                  Yes, everything must end - but I must say I have quite enjoyed these two weeks, particularly the concentration on organ music.

OG

I'll get my flak jacket on the way out

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    Yes, everything must end - but I must say I have quite enjoyed these two weeks, particularly the concentration on organ music.

OG

I'll get my flak jacket on the way out
                    Fair enough. But I hope Radio 3 will take a similar interest in the Liverpool Cathedral organ if that is refurbished.

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Fair enough. But I hope Radio 3 will take a similar interest in the Liverpool Cathedral organ if that is refurbished.
                      I want them to bring their glass booth to Doncaster

I don't think it has been too bad, but I hope they don't repeat it for a long time.

It was annoying when they were slow to fade out the background chatter when starting to play music
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

They had a fabulous accordionist in the foyer earlier this week. Anyone remember her name?

Comment

Working...
                        X