• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eucalyptus44 View Post
    They were already R3 listeners. I'll be there all day tomorrow and will try to ask a few people what drew them to the event. The answer may well be a cup of coffee.
    Especially on a cold morning!

But I'm not sure that the idea wasn't to publicise Radio 3 to those who aren't already familiar with it. It certainly illustrates the influence and patronage of the BBC/Radio 3: Southbank Centre will be even more delighted that Radio 3 is providing a 'sideshow' that will attract more people to the centre.

And, Gongers, speak for yourself! It may be that many of those who attend go for the shared experience with other people; but 'the other people' may well be the reason why others don't go at all.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      And, Gongers, speak for yourself! It may be that many of those who attend go for the shared experience with other people; but 'the other people' may well be the reason why others don't go at all.
      I was speaking for myself, I assure you, I find it impossible to speak for anyone else
      and I did say "surely" and posed it as a question
      Some people don't like listening to music in the presence of other people
      and for those people we have "esoteric hifi"

Comment

• arancie33
        • Jan 2011

'the other people' may well be the reason why others don't go at all.
        I wish I loved the Human race;
        I wish I loved its silly face;
        I wish I liked the way it walks;
        I wish I liked the way it talks;
        And when I'm introduced to one
        I wish I thought What Jolly Fun!

Sir Walter Raleigh (1861 - 1922)

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

it would be exceedingly silly of me to travel all the way from the South Coast up to London simply to don a pair of headphones to listen to Radio 3
          but the Pull Out All The Stops interactive exhibition sounds fun

Comment

• Sir Velo
            • Oct 2012

Personally, I'm happy to be seen as one of the whingers. I think it's important to let Wright know that there are those of us who believe he has destroyed a great institution, and that we loathe all of the populist nonsense he has brought in. Classical music does require effort on the part of the listener and it is a gross disservice to it and its practitioners to pretend otherwise.

As it happens I use social media myself at times, but I have no interest in hearing the inane twitterings of a few self publicists on what used to be a bastion of civilised values.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I did say "surely" and posed it as a question
              But it was a nonne 'question' (expects the answer Yes) not a num one (expects the answer No), was it not?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

But it was a nonne 'question' (expects the answer Yes) not a num one (expects the answer No), was it not?
                Probably
                But its interesting to ask the question
                "What are live performances for?"

I went to a very interesting conference at Cambridge a couple of weeks ago about the role that talk and discussion plays in music education. Some interesting research about modes of communication when people are talking about music and what language they use. Though, as a non-linguist I run out of knowledge after a while.......so thanks for elucidating my question.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

I believe some performers like performing with a live audience because of the 'energy' coming from the audience - it enhances their experience & makes their performance better. Perhaps the R3 presenters feel the same?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    I believe some performers like performing with a live audience because of the 'energy' coming from the audience - it enhances their experience & makes their performance better. Perhaps the R3 presenters feel the same?
                    They might do, Flossie - but is there any evidence that the results they feel are actually communicated to their audiences? And, if they'd wanted to be performers (and CB-H to name but one, could have enjoyed such a career), shouldn't they have practised their scales with more attention and left the business of presentation to those with a greater aptitude for it?

Sorry - I seem to be grumpy this morning (which I don't actually feel); but the idea that the announcers are akin to performers (which many of them seem to share, and which I believe to be a misconception of their role) is one that lies at the heart of my dislike of so much R3 content.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Sorry - I seem to be grumpy this morning (which I don't actually feel); but the idea that the announcers are akin to performers (which many of them seem to share, and which I believe to be a misconception of their role) is one that lies at the heart of my dislike of so much R3 content.
                      I don't think you are grumpy at all. You've hit the nail on the head.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

I can't interest you in this then ?

Shame as it's a cracking CD

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          And an LP too.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            They might do, Flossie - but is there any evidence that the results they feel are actually communicated to their audiences?
                            Probably impossible to find any objective evidence, since it would be impossible to have a control group - just how the performers felt about their performance.

the idea that the announcers are akin to performers
                            Not what I was suggesting at all. (although anything done in front of, or for, an audience is to some extent a performance. When I gave a talk about books to children, or parents or teachers I was perforrming, as I was when I gave a lesson.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              This has become rather off-topic, but I would venture to suggest that what you claim is something of an illusion in the actual act of performing, on the one hand, musical scores with convention stressing concentration on conductor and score; or, on the other, pop or rock music, where primitivisation of means and deification of the artists involved often precedes musical content and assumes a rallying point for purposes of mass manipulation. In both cases an element of distancing exists which a jazz or improvised music performance overcomes by virtue of the improvised element prioritising the unexpected and the unexpected a degree of attention on the part of audiences that is not required of predetermined performances, and in which creative spontaneous interactivity and elicited attention draws listeners into a co-determined musical conviviality that can actually inform the level of musicianship and spiritual fulfilment deriving therefrom in performance. As I am sure french frank would agree.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                This has become rather off-topic, but I would venture to suggest that what you claim is something of an illusion in the actual act of performing, on the one hand, musical scores with convention stressing concentration on conductor and score; or, on the other, pop or rock music, where primitivisation of means and deification of the artists involved often precedes musical content and assumes a rallying point for purposes of mass manipulation. In both cases an element of distancing exists which a jazz or improvised music performance overcomes by virtue of the improvised element prioritising the unexpected and the unexpected a degree of attention on the part of audiences that is not required of predetermined performances, and in which creative spontaneous interactivity and elicited attention draws listeners into a co-determined musical conviviality that can actually inform the level of musicianship and spiritual fulfilment deriving therefrom in performance. As I am sure french frank would agree.
                                Eh????

Oh, yeah -

Comment

Working...
                                X