Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Why does the first picture in #1 say "Disco Class Music"?

I think we should be told.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      & so you should be - popping up in public indeed - a man of your position, too.
      I've just moderated three of my own draft answers to that comment!

I'll stick with:
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eucalyptus44
        • Nov 2010

Will probably be hounded out of the Forum for saying this but I loved being in the Riverside Cafe for the live broadcasts; listening to the music, meeting other listeners and chatting to the presenters who were courteous and very generous with their time. None was looking forward to going back to the broadcasting house bunker next week. Had quite a long talk with Roger Wright too. Have been a R3 listener for 50+ years and have seen many changes in that time but as one who now lives alone, I enjoy some of the interactive elements in the broadcasts and have particularly enjoyed the Southbank residency. I happened to take my knitting along for the afternoon (am involved in a knitting for a WW1 film project: www.wagscreen.co.uk ) and the busy needles were noted by a couple of the presenters who wanted to find out all about the project and told me that Sir Colin Davis was an inveterate knitter. Many of those present expressed interest too. The upshot is that there'll be a general knit-in session in the Riverside Cafe at RFH on Monday March 24th from 1.30 onwards and anyone is welcome to join this. Apart from producing garments knitted to vintage patterns for the film, we are also knitting for a children's choir who will perform on a History/Exhibition day in Lincoln in November 2014 wearing the jumpers/cardigans/ganseys and singing songs from WW1.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eucalyptus44 View Post
          Will probably be hounded out of the Forum for saying this but I loved being in the Riverside Cafe for the live broadcasts; listening to the music, meeting other listeners and chatting to the presenters who were courteous and very generous with their time. None was looking forward to going back to the broadcasting house bunker next week. Had quite a long talk with Roger Wright too. Have been a R3 listener for 50+ years and have seen many changes in that time but as one who now lives alone, I enjoy some of the interactive elements in the broadcasts and have particularly enjoyed the Southbank residency. I happened to take my knitting along for the afternoon (am involved in a knitting for a WW1 film project: www.wagscreen.co.uk ) and the busy needles were noted by a couple of the presenters who wanted to find out all about the project and told me that Sir Colin Davis was an inveterate knitter. Many of those present expressed interest too. The upshot is that there'll be a general knit-in session in the Riverside Cafe at RFH on Monday March 24th from 1.30 onwards and anyone is welcome to join this. Apart from producing garments knitted to vintage patterns for the film, we are also knitting for a children's choir who will perform on a History/Exhibition day in Lincoln in November 2014 wearing the jumpers/cardigans/ganseys and singing songs from WW1.
          I was going to start a new thread to discuss the purpose of the 'residency'. I can well understand that anyone who took the trouble to go to a sort of 'Radio 3 Club' would expect to enjoy it (otherwise, why would they go?).

What I can't understand is what this contributes to the regular listeners at home.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            What I can't understand is what this contributes to the regular listeners at home.
            This is precisely the question I've been asking myself (living in West Wales) - who is it for? All it seems to mean is that the presenters are doing their thing against a hum of background noise, and that the likes of SR are even more manic than usual in their desperation to play to the gallery. It seems to be for the relatively tiny number of London-based listeners like Caliban who happen to drop in, whether out of genuine interest or ironically . For the rest of us, the experience is even worse than usual.

Comment

• eucalyptus44
              • Nov 2010

There were many listeners at the Southbank who'd come from all over the country. However it must be annoying for those unable to visit and who are distracted by the background noise

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

There were many listeners at the Southbank who'd come from all over the country.
                Were most of the people you spoke to already Radio 3 listeners? If not, what decided them to come?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Will probably be hounded out of the Forum for saying this but I loved being in the Riverside Cafe for the live broadcasts
                  On the contrary! So did I - it was fascinating!

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  genuine interest or ironically
                  Oh I was genuinely interested, fear not - although the odd humorous aspect struck me

I'll be 'popping up' again this week as I'm going to the Wednesday evening LPO concert...

The points made about what possible good it does the listeners at home are, however, very well made, it seems to me
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• eucalyptus44
                    • Nov 2010

They were already R3 listeners. I'll be there all day tomorrow and will try to ask a few people what drew them to the event. The answer may well be a cup of coffee.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      On the contrary! So did I - it was fascinating!
                      D'you think they're recruiting for new presenter talent, Cali?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

The upshot is that there'll be a general knit-in session in the Riverside Cafe at RFH on Monday March 24th from 1.30 onwards and anyone is welcome to join this. Apart from producing garments knitted to vintage patterns for the film, we are also knitting for a children's choir who will perform on a History/Exhibition day in Lincoln in November 2014 wearing the jumpers/cardigans/ganseys and singing songs from WW1.
                        Brilliant! I wish I could be there. It's been quite a while since I had my pins out - it would be wonderful to be able to join in.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        I was going to start a new thread to discuss the purpose of the 'residency'. I can well understand that anyone who took the trouble to go to a sort of 'Radio 3 Club' would expect to enjoy it (otherwise, why would they go?).

Honestly ff, that does sound so joyless. I think it all adds to the gaiety of the nation, & they should do more of it. I'm not sure if I can explain it, but knowing that the presenters are getting up close to the audience adds an extra layer to listening. It's rather like the live concert broadcasts - if your not in the hall, does it matter? Well, yes, because you are sharing an experience with those who are there.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Honestly ff, that does sound so joyless.

Perhaps an evening of it. But, if two weeks solid, why not all the time? Whether one enjoys it must be a personality thing (introvert/extrovert). I don't think it makes me a bad person ... But I honestly don't go to a live performance to 'share' it with a hallful of people I don't know but for the immediacy of the occasion and (hopefully) the sound quality.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                            • Jan 2011

I think it would be interesting to get down to the Southbank and see what's going on too. I personally would be interested to meet the presenters. I have been to live broadcasts of In Tune and Jazz Library (remember that?) and am looking forward to attending a recording of JRR at Sage Gateshead (no definite article, mind). Being resident in the true North (not just North London or slightly North of Watford), attending the Southbank Centre is not an option.

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                              I think it would be interesting to get down to the Southbank and see what's going on too. I personally would be interested to meet the presenters. I have been to live broadcasts of In Tune and Jazz Library (remember that?) and am looking forward to attending a recording of JRR at Sage Gateshead (no definite article, mind). Being resident in the true North (not just North London or slightly North of Watford), attending the Southbank Centre is not an option.

OG
                              Well I intend attending Trish Clowes for her jazz at 1 pm on Friday, but will be on the look out for someone with knitting needles...

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I've attended a couple of live In Tune programmes during Bath Music Festival. I found those experiences a bit frustrating because the audience feels a bit manipulated - Clap! Stop! etc. - and there's no interactivity. I also attended a recording of Discovering Music with Charles Hazelwood and BBC NOW in the Coal Exchange chamber in Cardiff Bay which was never broadcast because a torrential rainstorm during the final complete playthrough involved highly audible rain gushing down pipes from the guttering.

I like the idea of a pop-up studio public residency, giving people the opportunity to observe and to converse or discuss, off-air. I suppose it could be replicated elsewhere, for a shorter time, for example around the annual autumn Free Thinking weekend at Sage Gateshead. Radio 3 has had a Stage at WOMAD at several festivals, but that's obviously not open to general audiences and passers-by.

Comment

Working...
                                X