• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gamba
    Late member
    • Dec 2010

A Fight With the World Press

I was responsible for filming the final section of the BBC production of 'The Mill on the Floss ' 1965. This required leaving Glasgow & moving to Television Film Studios, Ealing, where they had a large water tank ( we didn't ). I took my own staff, knowledgeable & reliable film camera assistants & others with me. The final scenes involved the drowning of the leading character, Maggie Tulliver. This was to be achieved by the use of a massive water tank, wind machines, outboard motors to provide waves, water hoses, strong men with oars etc.,plus of course, trees, bushes, broken branches, vast broken tree roots, all to help help simulate the condition of a river in spate.

Much time was spent in ensuring this vast conglomeration could be brought together & made to provide a realistic setting. ( with no trace of the tank ! ).
    I had two film camers involved, one above water, the other looking through a ' porthole ' beneath water level, each following her body, first alive & ultimately, dead.

Following morning something quite different, a change of atmosphere in the studio. Dozens of people everywhere, hardly enough room even for me !Investigation indicates this mob is from the world press, USA, Europe, Australia etc.. I attempt to continue the difficult setting-up & lighting. The director is heard cursing the fact he has been given some kind of incompetent film crew from the 'backwoods'. ( That's 'cos we're from Scotland ! ) Everyone is bemoaning the fact that that the lighting levels are too low. They need more for their pictures & are going to demand it. The descision is mine & what I offer is a lighting level which may be lower than required by them but what is required by me to maintain an atmosphere of authenticity. We are making a realistic film, not a 2-page spread for glossy, glamour magazines. ' They ' intend taking matters further, top personnel witin the BBC have now been mentioned. ( Ha ! Ha! they NEVER know anything of what's happening ).

Suddenly the reason for so much international interest in the matter becomes clear, the leading lady about to be ' drowned ' is Jane Asher, girl friend of Paul McCartney of the Beatles, who are at their height, their importance world wide & their publicity value quite astronomical ! No wonder the world's press were so greedy for their share. I have a job to do, so continue. Both cameras operating with prime lenses, apertures set to f/2.5, almost fully wide open & with a limited depth of field but providing a pin-sharp image on what is of importance, ultimately, in death softening into an almost dreamlike state. Ultimately, we finish. I help clear-up then join the crew in a place of some anonymity. ( Don't want to be assassinated by ' Life ' magazine or ' Paris Match .'

Next morning, viewing theatre for 9am. Very crowded. I watch until finished & am satisfied with the results. About to leave - a shout. Hear my name called. It is Vernon. ( ' Shhh, he is right at the top of all those who are very important ). He speaks;

" I have viewed film rushes here for many years. Occasionally, with scenes including the tank endeavouring to resemble something else or become invisible. On each occasion I'm afraid this has not been so. I always manage to see part of the tank somehow appearing in shot.
    That was until this morning ; Congratulations Alex & thank you."
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

A fascinating and well told tale, gamba. Thanks.

Not bad for a crew from the "backwoods".

It does raise the question, though, as to whether attitudes in the BBC have changed much in the last fifty years.

Comment

• gamba
      Late member
      • Dec 2010

Alex.....c ' est moi, Gamba !!
      Last edited by gamba; 18-03-14, 21:02.

Comment

Working...
      X