X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

London Hotel Recommendation

My sister in law will be in London for a week this summer with her husband and 13 year old daughter. They are a highly educated and intellectually curious family of somewhat modest means. My wife has asked to me to help them find a decent hotel that won't cause them to remortgage their house.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

My choice is always The Tavistock in Tavistock Square, Bloomsbury - not too far from the British Museum and British Library, easy walking distance to the West End. I like it because with 395 rooms, it's seldom full when I want to book; it has most things except the height of luxury, though not a proper restaurant for lunch or dinner - but there are plenty of eateries around there.

Homely small places get full and I can't be bothered to hunt around. Depends, though, whether they would prefer the South Kensington area (with which I'm unfamiliar in terms of hotels).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

I stay sometimes at the County, in the same group as the Tavistock, which does NOT fall into your "decent hotel" category - more like staying in a cell block, or an oven in high summer - although it suits me as acceptable, as a single visitor of more modest means than the Tavistock clientele.

Have you considered university accommodation, e.g. http://www.lsevacations.co.uk/Home.a....JNyLU5mZ.dpbs, which is available in vacations and can be about half the cost of the Tavistock.

Comment

Working...
      X