• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Why?

I listen a lot to the Finnish station http://yle.fi/radio/yleklassinen/suora/

I have learnt more about a huge variety of genres, composers, performances than I ever do on R3. And this goes for a number of other stations.
    As soon as I spend a morning working and listening to YLE.fi, my palate is refreshed by the often very unexpected.
    Like the old R3 'blind tasting' progs.

e.g. Am listening now to a recording of a live Finnish Radio concert with Ginastera Harp Concerto. Never knew one such was written. Very attractive piece.

Raises the question as to WHY, with the BBC's colossal resources, is R3 so unbelievably uninventive?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Raises the question as to WHY, with the BBC's colossal resources, is R3 so unbelievably uninventive?
    If you want a serious answer, I think it's because it has to conform to a BBC 'brand' which, for a service like Radio 3 is a very effective strait jacket.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

I.e self-imposed blindnesses?
      Old story: as soon as you travel, you see your own nation / environment differently? Erm.....'something broadens the mind...' Where have I heard that before?

The BBC proclaims its richness, loudly convinces its listeners of the richness of the diet, but by a click of a mouse, you discover its disempowering instincts.

Depressing. Or am I just waking up to a truth universally acknowledged?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Mmmm … well, I'd say that the BBC is equally conformist by instinct. It employs people to take the corporation forward in the way that every other big corporation is being taken forward, everyone thinking outside the box, being proactive - that kind of exciting new thinking.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

WIA lives!

Well, this Finnish station is now playing a lovely largo chamber piece by Charles Ives, utterly unlike anything of his I've ever heard. Followed by a pretty energetic Barber organ and orchestra piece - Toccata Festiva. Never heard either.

See what I mean? In one morning, a whole string of pieces that refresh the taste buds. Can't imagine Rob Cowan getting the chance to play either.

Hey ho.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

I have learnt more about a huge variety of genres, composers, performances than I ever do on R3. And this goes for a number of other stations.
            As soon as I spend a morning working and listening to YLE.fi, my palate is refreshed by the often very unexpected.
            Like the old R3 'blind tasting' progs.

e.g. Am listening now to a recording of a live Finnish Radio concert with Ginastera Harp Concerto. Never knew one such was written. Very attractive piece.

I wonder how often the Ginestera Harp Concerto gets an outing there. I think it's a little over 7 years since it was on Afternoon on 3:

Ginastera: Harp Concerto
            Catrin Finch (harp)
            BBC National Orchestra of Wales
            Josep Cabelle-Domenech (conductor)

It will get another outing next April:

Juanjo Mena conducts Bernstein, Ginastera and Stravinsky

Comment

• Hornspieler
              Late Member
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              I wonder how often the Ginestera Harp Concerto gets an outing there. I think it's a little over 7 years since it was on Afternoon on 3:

Ginastera: Harp Concerto
              Catrin Finch (harp)
              BBC National Orchestra of Wales
              Josep Cabelle-Domenech (conductor)

It will get another outing next April:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e4xfxj
              A smashing work.

I remember the famous Harpist Nicanor Zabaleta playing this with the BSO.

He then insisted on playing the 2nd harp part in the second half of the concert. Berlioz Symphony Fantastic as I recall.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Well, glad I am joining the band of devotees, if a tad late!
                As said, pity it had to come via an internet station rather than our own much loved R3.
                But that might be a comment on how relatively infrequent my listening to R3 has very gradually become for a variety of reasons?

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

Followed by a pretty energetic Barber organ and orchestra piece - Toccata Festiva. Never heard either.

... Can't imagine Rob Cowan getting the chance to play either.
                  Well, the Barber (cracking piece!) did get an outing at the Last Night in 2004.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Thanks for the pointer, Draco.
                    Now stored as a station on my trusty Roberts WM202.

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Palmér, Catharina (b.1963): Min fackla, lys ... (My Torch, Shine ...)
                      Gjeilo, Ola (b.1978): Northern Lights
                      Palmér, Catharina (b.1963): Kissrain, Watersleep
                      Sandström, Jan (b.1954): Calculat Deus (world premiere)
                      Norgard, Per (b. 1932): Wie ein Kind: 'Wilgen Lied'; 'Frühlings-Lied'; 'Trauermarsch mit einem Unglücksfall'
                      Verdelot, Philippe (c.1485-c.1532): Italia Mia
                      Hammerschmidt, Andreas (1611/12-1675): Suite in G minor/G major for winds - from the collection 'Ester Fleiß'
                      Paderewski, Ignacy Jan [1860-1941]: Menuet celebre in G major (Op.14 No.1) "à l'antique"
                      Stoyanov, Vesselin (1902-1969): Rhapsody (1956)
                      Förster, Kaspar (1616-1673): Sonata a 7
                      Carissimi, Giacomo (1605-1674): Dixit Dominus for 5 voices & basso continuo
                      Vitols, Jazeps (1863-1948) : Romance
                      Diepenbrock, Alphons (1862-1921): Puisque l'aube grandit (song)
                      Pergolesi, Giovanni Battista (1710-1736): Concerto for violin, strings and continuo in B flat (yes, that Pergolesi but not Stabat Mater)
                      Raitio, Väinö (1891-1945): Joutsenet (Swans) (Op.15)

From Throught th Night last Monday

Not bad in one programme (albeit its being 6 hours)?

I have no end of objections to the way in which the BBC treats Radio 3 but the station itself still offers us (me) a whole lot of interesting music. It’s often the dire presentation and poor organisation that let many excellent music / programmes down. And yes, Why does BBC let that happen?

Comment

• Lordwanswell

R3 obsessions

Yes, I am feeling very much the same about R3. It seems obsessed by certain composers: Berlioz, Debussy, Janacek to name but three. I have lost count of how many times I have heard tired old warhorses like "Le Corsair" and "La Mer" on BBC breakfast. As well as that they feel the need to have a fair number of way out contributions by Reich et al. In contrast, I find a number of the US classical stations have a far wider range of mainstream classical music than R3 and I also hear a lot more music by English composers there.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

La Mer on "BBC Breakfast"? When was that?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            La Mer on "BBC Breakfast"? When was that?

'twould make a nice change for the lamer stuff we tend to get.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              'twould make a nice change for the lamer stuff we tend to get.
                              'twould, 'twould.
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X