X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Attn: Ian - Pat Metheny Unity Group concert

Ian: I recall your recent ferver, re: Pat Metheny Unity Group's new CD - KIN.

After having picked up tickets back on July 2, was finally led to the Promised GIG - Feb. 25.

Of course, what is immediately apparent with Pat's current configuration - along with predecessor Unity Band - is that:

It's jazz, man!

Even with a stage-full of orchestrion robots; which from my 4th row vantage point, sounded like a a small river of sonic whispers...not very prevalent in the main mix, whatsoever.

To those of us who harken back to the classic 80/81 album featuring Michael Brecker, the stellar musicianship of Chris Potter is perfect. This guy never seems to hit a wrong note!

I was particularly pleased by the sweet-sounding acoustic bass-playing by relatively young - Ben Williams.

I wish I could add some kudos for the newest member - Giuillio Carmassi on keyboards, but except for his being featured on an a-capella tune, he didn't penetrate much into the very loud mix (there was a one-story speaker sitting on the stage in front of us).

Antonio Sanchez is such a force on drums...I can't fathom how he does it night-after-night. (In fact, he seemed to have lost weight from the time I caught him leading a quartet with David Binney & Donny McCaslin in Hollywood).

What follows is a review of the succeeding night's gig - up the coast in Santa Barbara...

Last edited by charles t; 04-03-14, 01:55.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i am sure Ian will enjoy that Chas T - i did too! ta!
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Paul Campbell
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for the review, Charles. I second your comments about Chris Potter... saw him at the Vanguard and he was excellent.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Charles

thanks for posting the link. I saw the Unity Band at Vienne and was likewise impressed by the bassist. I think this is Mehteny's best group for a long while and not too dissimilar from when I saw him with Brecker, SSanchez and McBride. Shem that band never recorded.

I've not got the latest album yet. Still awaiting the arrival of a Mary Halvorson record in the post. I've read a lot about her but not been impressed until an NPR concert surfaced on Youtube.

Comment

• charles t
          • Nov 2010

Thanks Paul and Ian for the feedbacks.

Ian, when KIN arrives - you may want to anticipate the selection "Born"...of which the Downbeat reviewer used the expression 'churchy'.

Upon reflecting on my own hearing said tune in person, I would classify the experience as (nothing-less than):

'Solemn' (capital S).

Mary Halvorson is particularly edgy...right up there in Nels Cline territory (exclm mark assumed).

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Mary Halvorson is excellent and should have her own television programme.
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Working...
            X