• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Spirits Streets ......

Jon3 offers an indispensable enregistrement this Monday

Jez Nelson presents leading American free jazz saxophonist and pianist Charles Gayle, with his trio.

Gayle, who turned 75 last week, has held a deep connection with improvisation throughout his life in music. From periods spent homeless as a street-sax legend in New York, to touring the world as a celebrated artist, the full range of his experiences are reflected in his sound. Recorded at London's Cafe Oto with German drummer Klaus Kugel and Polish bassist Ksawery Wojcinski, his trio conjure a charged performance full of raw emotion and teetering unpredictability.

Otherwise Alyn plays requests; JLU is buggered by bloody opera and Geoffrey does Mardi Gras

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    Jon3 offers an indispensable enregistrement this Monday

Otherwise Alyn plays requests; JLU is buggered by bloody opera and Geoffrey does Mardi Gras

Someone should request "The Weary
    Blues" and dedicate it to the BBC.

I will be relaxing on (our) St Davids Day with a drum of Brains SA and a really good French doc/profile on Cecil Taylor from 1968. "Across the Tracks". Aw Cmon, everyone knows Cecil is Welsh. He played upright at the Pontypandy Miners Hall for years.

Viva les Charlie Church and her Kool Kardiff Blues Band. England, bend the knee.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 01-03-14, 14:16.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Give the drummer's mother some!

Only caught the last 30mins of JRR but some very OK stuff...Mingus, Rendell etc.

Now back to rolling my designer Caerphilly Cheese....

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

skipped the chat &c but the hour of the Charles Gayle Trio is one of the gigs of the year for Jon3 imho .... not to be missed [5 days left]

Donald Macleod was touching on words and speech in relation to the music of CPE Bach today; well listen to Charles talking to you ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
          Someone should request "The Weary
          Blues" and dedicate it to the BBC.

I will be relaxing on (our) St Davids Day with a drum of Brains SA and a really good French doc/profile on Cecil Taylor from 1968. "Across the Tracks". Aw Cmon, everyone knows Cecil is Welsh. He played upright at the Pontypandy Miners Hall for years.

Viva les Charlie Church and her Kool Kardiff Blues Band. England, bend the knee.

BN.
          I get the distinct impression that R3 may be giving up on Saturday Jazz. Ah well, I seem to making a new friend with Helen Mayhew and Dinner Jazz; I used to find her too melancholic. Win a few. lose a few!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            I get the distinct impression that R3 may be giving up on Saturday Jazz. Ah well, I seem to making a new friend with Helen Mayhew and Dinner Jazz; I used to find her too melancholic. Win a few. lose a few!
            A case of force majeure, iimss.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              A case of force majeure, iimss.
              Its "Rocking with Ravel" day on R3. All Friday.

BN.

"Concerto for Left Hand" this evening. One of my favs. Even when played by Jerry Lee Lewis. Or the Fat Man...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Tried to listen to Jezzer's show on teh i[don't]Player on my Samsung tablet, managed the first 30 seconds before the app crashed...argh...
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                  Tried to listen to Jezzer's show on teh i[don't]Player on my Samsung tablet, managed the first 30 seconds before the app crashed...argh...
                  Tablet always sounds like something delivered on a mountain top from God.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Jason Rebello said on tonight's Ravel Fest that Giant Steps has the same changes as the finale of the Concerto for Left Hand.

Obviously Maurice had all the Atlantic sides.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                      Jason Rebello said on tonight's Ravel Fest that Giant Steps has the same changes as the finale of the Concerto for Left Hand.

Obviously Maurice had all the Atlantic sides.

BN.
                      Hmm - just now going through it in my head, not so sure about that! Nice try though, Jason!

A lot of tunes subsequent to Giant Steps use 'Trane's changes, though: John Taylor's Ambleside; Kenny Wheeler's Everybody's Song But My Own, etc. Probably subconscious in a lot of cases.
                      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 08-03-14, 00:12. Reason: Song, not Tune

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Lewis Porter says its more like Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. Coltrane liked to play along with this.

You pays your....

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                          • Nov 2010

Now Ravel's over, on Jazz Record Requests today, Tubby Hayes, Buck Clayton, Billie Holiday, Adelaide Hall, Art Hodes, Alex Welsh, John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, Howard McGhee, Alan Ferber and Clark Terry.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                            Now Ravel's over, on Jazz Record Requests today, Tubby Hayes, Buck Clayton, Billie Holiday, Adelaide Hall, Art Hodes, Alex Welsh, John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, Howard McGhee, Alan Ferber and Clark Terry.
                            ”…Prince don’t hear Ravel when he
                            wanna make love to his woman. He
                            hears drums and sh*t…”

Miles in his Swiss Tony mode.

Good to hear some Howard on JRR.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                            X