• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

yawn

Alyn plays Beiderbecke Garner and mysteries

JLU Claire hfeatures the BBC Big Band well it aint actually the BBC but it is big and ........ she also touches on AVishai Cohen's latest album [this wont distract me from Twickenham and there will be little or no magnetism from iPlayer ...]

"Geoffrey Smith picks highlights from a versatile, witty and always swinging career." of Gerry Mulligan ...

Jon3 at least promises interest even if the details are lacking

Trumpeter Nick Malcolm has emerged in the last couple of years as one to watch on the British scene. Here leading his quartet in concert at the Vortex Jazz Club in Dalston, East London, his ambitious compositional and playing style comes to the fore in music that merges short, cell-like themes with loose improvisational structures. The quartet's soundworld incorporates echoes of Miles Davis hardbop and 20th-century chamber music, as well as more avant-garde leanings. Experienced free improvisers, pianist Alexander Hawkins and bassist Olie Brice take the music in unexpected directions, while drummer Mark Whitlam offers traces of the groove-music scene of Malcolm's native Bristol.

BBC R3 is just taking the piss out of any serious jazz listener.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Calum

What is wrong with Gerry Mulligan's work? I'm not a fan of the piano-less quartet with Baker but his work with big bands was always extremely rewarding, right from his days with Gene Krupa when he transformed this hitherto ordinary band in to something quite epoch making.

Morrison is a curious musician. I've got musical friends from Australia that I meet up with each year and his role down under probably makes his that country's most high profile jazz musician. (Not hindered by the fact that I believe he hosts Australia's equivalent of "Top Gear.) As the audience is getting more sophisticated, many of the younger musicians were starting to question his worth. Again, someone like Previn with bags of talent but not producing outstanding jazz. Maybe time for the BBC big band to hook up with the likes of Darcy James Argue, John Hollenbeck, Travis Sullivan , Maria Schneider or Alan Ferber to freshen the music up?

As for Avishai Cohen, the basis is hugely popular in Europe where his reputation goes way beyond what he enjoys here. I would say that he is probably one of the big names on the other side of the Channel. I've seen him twice. The first time I heard him I expected to be commercial but I was staggered at how good the concert was. It's not cutting edge stuff yet he manages to be totally different from anyone else. When I saw him last year, I snuck off early to hear Gerald Clayton with Logan Richardson which was much better. Cohen's music isn't bad and quite original. He's easily one of the best bassists I've heard even if I think it does edge a bit towards the kind of stuff EST recorded if not lightweight and prone to the Swedish group's gimmicks. Musically, Cohen's trio does seem to be more musical than EST and will probably have a more lasting impression. That said, the other Avishai Cohen who plays trumpet like Don Cherry is more interesting - if you set aside the questionable ethics of supporting Israeli artists who, perhaps, should not be afforded a platform for presenting their music until their government changes their stance. As good as the likes of the likes of these musicians are (including Anat Cohen, the trumpeter's sister), there is the sense that audiences should not be supporting these artists - especially if they have served in the Israeli military. A difficult call to make, in my opinion.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

not the music Ian the presentation or lack thereof

and candidly Geoffrey does have a tendency to just run through a Proper Box Set eh?

i recall posting at length some years back abot the BBC Big Band and have recently heard a decent broadcast but not with the present Musical Director in charge [for the life of me can not remeber the name .... major impression huh!]

it is my impression that apart from Somethin Else the presentation team is losing heart and not feeling their efforts have been recognised by the nabobs [and if the BBCBB had not been on i might have found it in my heart to be kinder to JLU, after all they cover their brief, put up the playlist and are often quite enthusiastic ]

none of it comes near NPR for quality
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

Calum in radio terms presentation team means us - the presenters. No loss of enthusiasm or losing heart on our part except maybe a weariness that instead of commenting on programmes themselves we have an onslaught of unpleasant posts about playlists and web presence which is not our bailiwick. Take it up with the powers that be but don't assume things about R3 presenters that are simply not true.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

JRR seems to be attracting some requests for quite familiar stuff but I felt that it is the material that is new to me which is a delight. The Ibrahim Maalouf track was really enjoyable although I felt that the rock guitar was a bit at odds with the wonderful mood that had previously been achieved. I also like the Bix track which was new to me.

That said, I am going to provoke the abuse of Bluesnik by suggesting that the best track tonight was the Sandy Brown one. I'd never heard this before and think that Brown is someone who is now seriously under-rated. I totally agree with Charles Fox' observation about the freshness of Brown's music and I thought that l Fairweather's trumpet wasn't bad at all either. I thought that this track was brilliant. Shame that Brown's artistry gets overlooked because of his assumed Trad connections. Brown seemed liked a true originator.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
            JRR seems to be attracting some requests for quite familiar stuff but I felt that it is the material that is new to me which is a delight. The Ibrahim Maalouf track was really enjoyable although I felt that the rock guitar was a bit at odds with the wonderful mood that had previously been achieved. I also like the Bix track which was new to me.

That said, I am going to provoke the abuse of Bluesnik by suggesting that the best track tonight was the Sandy Brown one. I'd never heard this before and think that Brown is someone who is now seriously under-rated. I totally agree with Charles Fox' observation about the freshness of Brown's music and I thought that l Fairweather's trumpet wasn't bad at all either. I thought that this track was brilliant. Shame that Brown's artistry gets overlooked because of his assumed Trad connections. Brown seemed liked a true originator.
            Hey! No arguement from me about Sandy Brown....very openminded geezer, bluesky player and fine acoustic engineer.

Thought the sound quality on the Bix was remarkable given its date.

BN.

AND....tres good to hear a Ray 45...arranged by Hank Crawford. Opens a whole box of possibilities....Bill Doggetf?!

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
              • Nov 2010

BN only too happy if you can find a suitable piece of Mr Doggett's work (maybe not the organ accompaniments to Ella...) He was a thoroughly nice chap whom I interviewed for my Dizzy book. Basically BD taught Diz to read big band parts when he was in Frankie Fairfax's band in Philly prior to joining Teddy Hill in 1937.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                BN only too happy if you can find a suitable piece of Mr Doggett's work (maybe not the organ accompaniments to Ella...) He was a thoroughly nice chap whom I interviewed for my Dizzy book. Basically BD taught Diz to read big band parts when he was in Frankie Fairfax's band in Philly prior to joining Teddy Hill in 1937.
                Betcha!

Bill Doggett's "Blue Largo" from 1957...lovely slow bluesy piece with either Percy France or Cliff Soloman on tenor. Some debate. I bought this as a 45 single c 1960 so one of my intros to jazz. Will email formal request if required!

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                  • Nov 2010

Formal email to the JRR address a good idea

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Calum in radio terms presentation team means us - the presenters. No loss of enthusiasm or losing heart on our part except maybe a weariness that instead of commenting on programmes themselves we have an onslaught of unpleasant posts about playlists and web presence which is not our bailiwick. Take it up with the powers that be but don't assume things about R3 presenters that are simply not true.
                    no Alyn that doesn't quite wash ... they have sliced the budgets , introduced a dire playlist system and candidly the programmes are often just phoned in with no thought or analysis ... sometimes they are good but mostly poor imho and i will lay it at the presentation team's door as well as the bosses ... on JRR the format does the work - requests are requests ... but why do some programmes have playlists [even if in the dreadful new format] in advance whereas others do not? jazz fans are nerdy people they like to know who is on the date waht they will be playing, it is just part of the experience .... was it Giddens who wrote about catching the bug in one's teens and knowing all the personnel on a recording so you could keep you place with your fellows in the yard ....... as i am sure you yourself do given your publications and encyclopaedic knowledge ...

as of now [2115] there are no details up for Geoffrey except that it will be Mulligan .... it is as if there was a concert, don't worry it will be Beethoven .... tracks from Beethoven just like pop shop tunes with Performer [Beethoven] and Track.... as El Senor posted a month or so back, who needs a radio station when you have Youtube ...

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Missed JRR this evening - must listen on iPlayer tomorrow.

Early evening programmes pretty much a middle brow affair tonight - JLU BBC Big Band, Mozart Piano concerto, Beethoven symphony.... Well what's wrong with that? I guess you can't please all the listening public all the time.

What's wrong was that silly Australian with his "comic" routine, and that priggish school magister from Israel. JLU might be better off cutting out some of the chat. I feel that 2.5 hours of continuous Jazz is a good idea, it gives a chance to relax and just enjoy what is on offer, without having to make every minute count. But I hope these 2.5 hours don't get squandered with a lot of run of the mill stuff.

May be Hear and Now will lift the intellectual level.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Re You Tube...

Just been watching that ABSOLUTELY superb and moving Jazz Baltica set by Kenny Garrett with Kenny Kirkland from 97. Blistering stuff. Where else could you find that just for the asking? Utube has totally changed the access to music. Esp when I slam it thro a 70Watt amp....

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                          Re You Tube...

Just been watching that ABSOLUTELY superb and moving Jazz Baltica set by Kenny Garrett with Kenny Kirkland from 97. Blistering stuff. Where else could you find that just for the asking? Utube has totally changed the access to music. Esp when I slam it thro a 70Watt amp....

BN.
                          Pleased that you like Kenny Garrett. I've seen him on numerous occasions and, for my money, he is the most exciting jazz soloist you are likely to hear live. I'm a massive fan but his records of late don't seem to do justice to catching him on concert. The gigs often end up with him performing "Happy people" which is guaranteed for whip the audience in to a frenzy.
                          Years ago I heard him play in a quartet with Pat Metheny, Brian Blade and Nat Reeves in a vlub in Copenhagen where they tore through the Coltrane repertoire. Halfway through the gig, Dave Liebman sat in on "like Sonny." This is still the best jazz concert I've ever been to even after nearly 20 years have passed.

There is a track called "African exchange student" which is staggering - no link to this on Youtube.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                            Pleased that you like Kenny Garrett. I've seen him on numerous occasions and, for my money, he is the most exciting jazz soloist you are likely to hear live. I'm a massive fan but his records of late don't seem to do justice to catching him on concert. The gigs often end up with him performing "Happy people" which is guaranteed for whip the audience in to a frenzy.
                            Years ago I heard him play in a quartet with Pat Metheny, Brian Blade and Nat Reeves in a vlub in Copenhagen where they tore through the Coltrane repertoire. Halfway through the gig, Dave Liebman sat in on "like Sonny." This is still the best jazz concert I've ever been to even after nearly 20 years have passed.

There is a track called "African exchange student" which is staggering - no link to this on Youtube.
                            Ian, that set is amazing. I've heard a fair bit of Garrett but never as full stretch as that. And a times a Jackie Mac approach to tone and impro. Fabulous band with Kirkland, Nat Reeves and Tain Watts. Reeves also worked with Jackie.

BN.

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Calum in radio terms presentation team means us - the presenters. No loss of enthusiasm or losing heart on our part .......
                              JRR absolutely brilliant last night in my book. It must be difficult to string together a load of disparate tracks. And equally difficult for the listener to make the jumps between the different styles/ genres. My personal favourite Evans Peace Piece. But then switch to Hit the Road Jack!

Looks like next week we are back to the bad old days - JRR at 4 pm, no JLU - just hours of Opera.

Comment

Working...
                              X