... only time will tell us so; like a ripple on a stream ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... only time will tell us so; like a ripple on a stream ....

Alyn "plays listeners' requests this week" [sic] ..with loadsa ladies that'll be fun eh?

Claire presents music from the Lithuanian group Dainius Pulauskas, interviews Brad Mehldau and features Shirley Horn - PLAYLIST IN ItUNES FORMAT SO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Geoffrey is unmissable this week no matter what he actually selects
    A noted multi-instrumentalist and world music pioneer, the late Yusef Lateef possessed enduring credentials as a jazz master, admired by the likes of Miles Davis. Geoffrey Smith showcases his varied work on tenor saxophone, oboe and flute.
    Jez went to a festival but the air fare and hotel knocked back the listings budget but the blurb survives
    Jez Nelson presents new music from last summer's Saalfelden Jazz Festival in Austria. Established over 30 years ago, it has become one of the biggest annual get-togethers of cutting-edge jazz musicians from both sides of the Atlantic.

Highlights include Austrian pianist David Helbock with his playful Action Figures quartet, featuring Tony Malaby on saxophone and a rather unusual backline of tuba and drums. Martin Küchen's Angles 10 delivers a brassy punch, with the help of saxophonist Tim Berne, no fewer than three trombones and two drummers. French experimental guitarist Marc Ducret plays with his 12 piece Tower Bridge ensemble. John Medeski appears solo at the piano with some leftfield takes on classics like 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow' and 'Summertime'. And continuing the Gershwin connection, Uri Caine and his ensemble re-assemble 'They Can't Take That Away From Me', with the help of vocalists Barbara Walker and Theo Bleckmann.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Marc Decret plays with his 12 piece Tower Bridge ensemble
    Named because there are few let-ups?

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

...featuring Tony Malaby on saxophone and a rather unusual backline of tuba and drums
      Who writes this stuff? Tuba bass isn't that exotic these days...look at Sons of Kemet etc...

Caught a random bit of JRR whilst out and about and played "spot the saxophone"...10 points to me for getting Alan Barnes on bari...
      all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
        Who writes this stuff? Tuba bass isn't that exotic these days...look at Sons of Kemet etc...

Caught a random bit of JRR whilst out and about and played "spot the saxophone"...10 points to me for getting Alan Barnes on bari...
        good spot take another 10!
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• burning dog
          • Dec 2010

Tuba and Drums eh? They'll be playing Cornets, Clarinets and Banjos next

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

stick that on yer playlisterine

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

stick that on yer playlisterine
              Nice tribute to Stan Tracey on Michael Horovitz's "Private Passions", R3 this morning....and Blake, Beats and Bird etc.

BN

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Nice tribute to Stan Tracey on Michael Horovitz's "Private Passions", R3 this morning....and Blake, Beats and Bird etc.
                indeed thee was well worth catching on listen again facilities

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Kind of related but the current LRB has a short piece on the very wonderful 60s pop artist/actress/activist/feminist et al, Pauline Boty who died way too young. At 28.

If you ck/out Ken Russell's Pop Goes the Artist 1962 on Utube you can see her with Peter Blake and dancing with David Hockney AND Ray of Ray's Jazz Record shop...

Bliss to be alive and revolution in the air....

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Not heard the new Mehldau record but Shirley Horn was excellent. I heard her perform live just before she died and was absolutely spellbound by her ability to captivate her audience. One of the most memorable concerts I've been to.

I interested at just how frequently American jazz artists are now collaborating with their European counterparts. I'm not surprised by Tim Berne cropping up but noite that john Hollenbeck's latest offering is with French and Swiss musicians I'd never been aware of.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

I bought that Shirley Horn set when it first came out, 1989?, and it is a superb album...wonderfully sophisticated use of pace and space...and quiet emotion.

Brings back loads of good memories ...

BN.

She was very "acid" about her earlier Steeplechase dates.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                        • Dec 2010

Shirley Horn did for jazz vocals what Miles Davis first quintet did for playing ballads. It's odd how certain singers get written off as either being or not being jazz. Horn had a reputation as a cabaret artist yet there is a story-telling element within her later work which nails her down as one of the most distinctive jazz vocalists of all time.

I've been listening to the new Dianne Reeves album which I had for Christmas. This I a bit slick and oerhaps somewhat over-produced (like a lot of the stuff on Concord now that the label has tried to re-invent itself from it's swing / Mainstream reputation.) It's pretty commercial but I would have to say an very, very good pop album. Reeves is fantastic live and one of my heroines in jazz and whilst the album does includes loads of covers of pop material by the likes of Fleetwood Mac (!!) there are some pretty famous jazz names in their such as Robert Glasper and her partner Terri Lynne Carrington - always a good sign when she gets behind the kit in a band as she is a wonderful drummer. When I listen to singers from an earlier generation who bridged jazz and pop I'm generally pretty negative whereas the more contemporary efforts sound far more acceptable.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Agree re: Shirley Horn. Not really been aware of her music before (but do have quite a lot of Claire Martin's CDs).

Couldn't get to grips with the latest Brad Meldhau stuff though - I do have some of his earlier stuff. I have seen him live (solo) once at the Sage Gatehshead - great pianist, but terribly self indulgent programme notes IIRC. Never spoke to the audience once - but maybe that's just his style.

OG

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                            • Nov 2010

OG if you have just over half an hour to spare, you could stream the Shirley Horn Jazz Library from this link (click on "Clip"), and there's even a playlist as well... http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00szzfd

Comment

Working...
                            X