• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... bouquets of moonbeams and sunlight tremblings

Alyn Shipton's selection of listeners' requests spans music from 1925 to the present decade

well i never ....

Claire Martin features more from Bley Swallow Sheppard and reviews and explores Pat Metheny's new release Kin plus tasters of other releases ...yum yum i'd say

Geoffrey features the life and works of Roy Eldridge apparently .... you may well know every track he plays or not; think he takes an interesting slant on the oeuvre or just the same old little jazz schtick .... how could you know ... another slice of jazz for the passive listener

Jon3 shares Medeski Martin and Wood live at Scotts ... funky fun!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

well i never ....

Claire Martin features more from Bley Swallow Sheppard and reviews and explores Pat Metheny's new release Kin plus tasters of other releases ...yum yum i'd say

Geoffrey features the life and works of Roy Eldridge apparently .... you may well know every track he plays or not; think he takes an interesting slant on the oeuvre or just the same old little jazz schtick .... how could you know ... another slice of jazz for the passive listener

Jon3 shares Medeski Martin and Wood live at Scotts ... funky fun!

"Well I never"/Well you needn't indeed....

Alyn and Ken Colyer....set your watch by it.

BN.

Pete Seeger died this week...so many banjos, so little time.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

OK, I recant. ...JRR worth it alone for that stunning Ray Brown bass playing. Spun my head as I was boiling the pasta. Sundried tomatoes and Devon sardines everywhere.

BN.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post

Agreed, Calum. Haute cuisine from the aperitif to the brandy!

OG

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

]The new Metheny album sounds terrific. I am a huge fan of his work and love the fact that he is now collaborating with Chris Potter.

As far as JRR is concerned, the Luis Russell recordings always stagger me. They seem quite an anomaly to me being a band that hailed from New Orleans and sound quite progressive in comparison with other orchestras like Bennie Moten, Duke Ellington or the kind of bands that had started to appear in Harlem around that time. "Panama" is a fabulous record and is typical of the kind of performances which see a bridge between the more classical jazz of the 1920's and the way that jazz would develop. The chart does remind me a bit of the kind of music Gene Gifford would compose for the Casa Loma orchestra but Russell's outfit swings the riffs in a fashion that is somewhat alien from the white band's more rigid efforts. I fully concur that a track like "Panama" needs to be included in the category of hottest jazz record and imagine that hearing this band rip things up in 1929 must have been staggering live performance.

Listening to Luis Russell's orchestra you sometimes feel that New Orleans jazz in the 1920's might have been performed with more gusto and fire than you might expect from say Jelly Roll Morton's wonderful records. There is something of the wild aggression of Sidney Bechet's work in the Russell recordings and it doesn't harm having the fiery Red Allen in the trumpets. One of the other bands from this era that also displays Russell's hard-swinging approach is Sam Morgan's band and this would, in my opinion, run "Panama" pretty close for hottest jazz record. :-

It is a bit strange listening to these recordings and realising how different they are from the commonly held notions as to what N.O. jazz sounds like. Not a banjo in ear shot (although there is one in the photo.) For me one of the most exciting things about jazz in the 1920s was how the music differed from city to city , especially with regard to how rhythm was treated. Listening to Morgan and Russell's performances they seem to be pushing towards something more modern and certainly these tracks swing as hard as anything until the arrival of the Basie band in the late thirties.

I love the diversity of the contemporary jazz scene but it must have been amazing witnessing the speed of development in the 1920's.

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Ian: Catching the Metheny Unity Group this Feb. 25.

Must have purchased tickets six months ago...felt as if February had disappeared from the calendar.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Just listening to Sidney Bechet on Cerys on R6 this morning.

Wish I could recapture more often the joy of listening to Jazz - basic jazz - no frills. However these days my "sophisticated" palette queries me if it's not contemporary, is it worth listening to?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

Wish I could recapture more often the joy of listening to Jazz - basic jazz - no frills. However these days my "sophisticated" palette queries me if it's not contemporary, is it worth listening to?
                With respect, I would suggest that outlook is the antithesis of "sophistication". Culture as the Habitat sofa catalogue.

BN.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

....habitat now defunct....
                  bong ching

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

now defunct....

like the playlist

jeez but the performer listing is truly dreadful ....

The Singing Song

Performer: Gary Burton. Performer: Gene Cherico. Performer: Joe Hunt.

GETZ AU GO GO, VERVE, 6

performer! On What!!!!!!!!!!!!? Miming?
                    and it just gave up the ghost on the Stan Tracey Band and soloists ....
                    a serious disappointing drop in standards
                    low grade cr*p innit!
                    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 02-02-14, 13:06.
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

We Get Requests always a favourite cassette in the car in the 80s ....

SIdney Bechet is a god of improvisation, the more i hear the more in awe of his inventiveness and drive ... made a great quartet album with Martial Solal [another jazbo fave]

Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 02-02-14, 13:09.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        Now playing "Opus Defunked"..Milt Jackson et Horace Silver!

Agree about the playlists....a 1950s IBM on barbiturates.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post

I find that the more i listen to contemporary stuff, the more often it seems to make a connection with the jazz of an earlier era. Bechet was amazing. I feel that he represents the very earliest aspects of jazz whilst also seeming to be extremely contemporary.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Wiped out by global w............. isation.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                              I find that the more i listen to contemporary stuff, the more often it seems to make a connection with the jazz of an earlier era.
                              This is one of the problems for me as well as Oddball, I'm assuming, and has been since jazz became accessorised in the '80s, though I dare say it doesn't apply to much of the today stuff I go for.

Comment

Working...
                              X