X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Jazz Grammys

Wondered if anyone had checked out the website to see who had won the award in the various jazz categories ?

I've not yet heard the Terri Lyne Carrington record and although I love her drumming, the element of spoken word on this record had put me off acquiring it. The nomination for Wayne Shorter for best solo was no surprise as that album was crying out for recognition. Nice to see that both the Christian McBride and Alan Ferber albums got a nomination as they were extremely good. For me, these two were amongst the two best albums of 2013 and it was nice to see that the judges were on the same wavelength as me this year!! Curious that the Donny McCaslin album was also included amongst the best solo nomination - not a surprise as there is a history of risible fusion records getting the nod. In my opinion, I felt that this was a disaster zone of an album with all the life squeezed out of the music.

Several things always stagger me about these nominations. The first is that the "best solo" nomination seems perverse as I am not quite sure how you would gauge this. Do the judges transcribe each nominated solo? It seems a bit pointless - perhaps the most pointless criteria by which jazz has ever been judged, even taking in to consideration that to call something "the best" is usually purely subjective. I have not idea how you can say one solo is the best on record in any given year let alone on one album!!

There also seems a tendency to plump for "safe" options and choices which are perplexing. The Gerald Clayton disc is not that great and includes the pianist delivering a few lame vocals. I was really surprised that this got selected as I was under-whelmed although I am a fan of this musician. It won't startle the horses by any means. The Gary Burton nomination was also a bit conservative although, having been loaned this CD by a friend, I didn't think it was too bad. However, there has been some better stuff issued throughout 2013 that should have edged Burton's recording. The vocal nominations are also very conservative but I suppose this could be argued to go with the territory.

The most annoying thing with the Grammys is that there seems to be a tendency to celebrate pop musicians whose time has been and gone and, I would suggest, who have probably received too much recognition already. Paul McCartney is a prime example and he has lived off the reputation of the absurdly over-rated Beatles far too long. Shame that he wasn't taken around the corner and led in to a dark alleyway to receive a good kick in for giving us "Wings" too!! That would have evened things up a bit!! Okay, he may seem like a towering genius in comparison to the current pop artists but I would strongly argue that someone like Wayne Shorter has enjoyed an even longer musical career during which time he has produced a body of work of considerably far more value than The Beatles. There is more musical merit in Shorter's last album than the whole of McCartney's career put together. McCartney has penned a few memorable songs , some of which are quite good, yet he is an artistic minnow in comparison with some of the jazz names amongst the nominations whose worth is more associated with the social changes of the 1960's than the dots he has added to the stave. The nominations seem stacked in favour of pop acts with there being categories all sorts of pop music where the differences between genres much be impossible to differentiate. Most of these artists will be forgotten in 2 years time.

I suppose that the Grammys are totally superficial and more to do with the music industry massaging it's own ego as opposed to valuing music by genuine artistic merit.

End of rant......
  • Paul Campbell
    • Nov 2010

I agree with your assessment, Ian. On the other hand, I watched the NEA Jazz Masters 2014 shenanigans the other night and found it very imteresting. Jamey Aebersold, Anthony Braxton, Richard Davis and Keith Jarrett were honoured. Braxton gave a particularly moving speech appealing for reconcilliation in (his) country and in (our) music. Dave Liebman and Joe Lovano were among those playing. Its still on arts.gov if anyone has a few hours to spare and the inclination to watch.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Grammys are totally superficial and more to do with the music industry massaging it's own ego
      my thoughts too Ian

thanks for the NEA Awards Paul good to see Richard Davis honoured

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

I think it is good that jazz gets some recognition at the Grammys and it is probably not unreasonable to say that this is probably a world wide platform for jazz that is unsurpassed in it's outreach. I'm not a fan of any award ceremonies and find it galling that so many musicians like McCartney and Ringo Starr are continually lauded year in and year out. To me this isn't necessary whereas giving a neglected and artistic music more publicity certainly is. I'm not a fan of Braxton but I would concur that the names in Paul's list are all worthy of wider recognition even if they are familiar to jazz fans. For me, the $$$ matter more than the artistic value when it comes to the artistic merit of the award winners and you sometimes wonder just how much the labels lobby the judges. There are quite a few Concord records amongst the nominations , for example, who are based in the West coast live the Grammys. I wonder how much of a bearing this has on the selections.

Having given the matter some thought whilst at the gym this evening, I think Craig Taborn's solo on "the Blue Whale" from David Binney's "Lifted Land" knocked me out more than any other on CD's last year. This solos packs more punch than a Dani Osvaldo head butt.

Southampton suspend Dani Osvaldo for two weeks for fighting with team-mate Jose Fonte at the club's training ground.

Comment

Working...
        X