• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Small's Jazz Club Newsletter

"Hello Friends:

I have to admit that sometimes that New York gets me down. Not just New York per se, but what I perceive to be a shift throughout society towards a general lack of interest in culture. What is this banality, idiocy, insincerity, corporate sterility that we've come to accept as our day to day society? I feel like our vibrancy is being replaced by dullness and this worries me. What happened to the Bohemianism and Idealism that can drive a person to embrace Art and a life of dedication, practice and discipline? Smalls still embodies this for me. I can walk around late at night in the desolated confines of Greenwich Village, everything long shuttered and closed down, and then enter into our basement jazz world. Here, beneath 10th street, is a place filled with people who still love to interact with people, musicians who love simply to play music. People who still love to drink and talk to all hours. Philosophers and fools, Artists and madmen. Like one stalk of flower growing out of the asphalt of some paved parking lot - the Human Spirit still lives here. It's not easy to maintain but there are still some dedicated souls for whom the jazz life has meaning. Sometimes I stand at the foot of the stairs and observe the tumult that is taking place in my club and I say a silent prayer, thankful that this still exists and hope that these folks are protected. Hopeful that we can forget about Facebook, warfare and moneymaking and still remember what the Blues sounds like...."
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

is it the last place on the planet where the owner could write so ............... ?
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

I thought that Smalls had closed down.

Comment

• Paul Campbell
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for posting that, Charles. I've passed Smalls on route to the Vanguard but to my shame never been in. I hope to make amends in the Autumn.

Comment

• Tom Audustus

They have posted a number of evenings worth of music from their streaming service on YouTube

See: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjWjwD6aDJ-s8p-k-gy-vGA

Comment

• charles t
            • Nov 2010

Tom: During your Autumn sojourn, be sure to check-out the Downtown Music Gallery record store which - in addition to tons of the most obscure jazz offerings on de planet - promotes FREE in-store concerts by NY scene jazzr's!

Comment

• Paul Campbell
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
              Tom: During your Autumn sojourn, be sure to check-out the Downtown Music Gallery record store which - in addition to tons of the most obscure jazz offerings on de planet - promotes FREE in-store concerts by NY scene jazzr's!

http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com/...toreshows.html
              Cheers Charles, duly noted

Comment

• Tenor Freak
                • Dec 2010

Some good stuff on there I see...last night was Gilad Hekselman and his group.
                all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• charles t
                  • Nov 2010

Paul (Campbell): GothamJazz site will be helpful during your sojourn (Cornelia Street Cafe shown is recommended).

Comment

• Paul Campbell
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks again, Charles. Mrs C plans the daytime itinary on condition that I plan the evenings That usually means The Vanguard, Birdland, Dizzys, Iridium etc. Never feel more at home than down the Vanguard!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

green with envy doesn't do one's feelings justice!!!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                      X