X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Thelonious Monk compositions

The Official Thelonious Sphere Monk Website, where you can hear and buy never before heard Thelonious Sphere Monk performances.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Bemsha Swing and Blue Monk are favourites ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

I have a soft spot for Crepuscule with Nellie.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

I was too embarrassed to admit to not having known Green Chimneys to be a Monk composition.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

SA

"Green chimneys" isn't one of his finest efforts. From recollection, I think it is a modal composition.

I think that tunes like "Four in one" and "Hornin' in" are really underrated but also have a soft spot for "Let's cool one." There are number of Monk tunes that rarely get played whilst it is also true that he penned a lot of pretty ordinary b flat blues, none of which really match "Blue Monk."

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

After a gap of over eight years I have started to play some of the tunes from the Thelonious Monk Fake Book.

Eased myself in with Straight No Chaser, now I'm on Misterioso, a melody I'd always wanted to learn and which I can confirm is still a biatch to play. (Both B flat blues, neither of them ordinary IMO.)

I was given the book as present at work, but I was given a concert pitch edition not B flat, so I have to transpose the tunes: good for shedding I suppose.

Too many favourites but special mentions go to Skippy, Work, and Introspection. Gallop's Gallop is evil.

But he also recorded his share of turkeys...I can't bring myself to link Consecutive Seconds, a piece of crap composed and produced by Teo Macero who was clearly following orders from the Columbia sales dept. Monk left not long afterwards.

Better to remember a total classic:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• burning dog
              • Dec 2010

Nothing ordinary here

Comment

• MarkG
                • Apr 2011

And linking conveniently with the subject of last week's Jo3...

Comment

Working...
                X