X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Campbell
    • Nov 2010

Bargain Wes...

I normally avoid those "labels" that make a living from re-packaging out of copyright material, for both quality and ethical reasons. However, I couldn't resist Wes Montgomery's Complete Recordings 1958-60 and 60-62. They are going for £3.99 each on Itunes! Some duplication for me, but a cheap way of filling the gaps. Sound quality is remarkably good on the tracks I've listened to,too (at 256 AAC). The tracks don't seem to follow strict album order, though.

Anyway, it should keep me busy digging for a while...
    Last edited by Paul Campbell; 15-01-14, 18:33.
  • Paul Campbell
    • Nov 2010

Wot Joy.. this has been a revelation!

Firstly, I can confirm my initial comments on sound quality. This ranges from good to excellent, given the age of the material. It sounds like a re-master and not just a needle drop – this has clearly been a labour of love for someone.

As to the music itself, its sublime of course. Probably most will already appreciate it, but I’ve always had a bit of a hard time with Wes. I know how highly he is regarded, and the reasons for that, but for some reason I have had a blind spot and couldn’t really hear it - it never went to the heart (unlike, say, Grant Green or Kenny Burrell - both of whom I revere). Talk about a road to Damascus moment!

Also, the performances of some of the sidemen are staggering too, and I need to investigate this aspect of these recordings in depth. Its reminded me, too, that I need more Milt Jackson in my collection.

Anyway, unreservedly recommended.

Edited to point out that I have since heard some vinyl surface noise on a few tracks.
    Last edited by Paul Campbell; 15-01-14, 18:36.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

very good price Pasul. They are £3 each more on the river.

Love the Half Note with Wynton kelly and Johnny Griffin Full House.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
      X