• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... yes we have no playlists [get outa bed Henry]

Alyn has no playlist as yet
    including music by saxophonists Charlie Parker, Bob Crosby and Benny Carter.
    JLU has no playlist as yet
    Julian Joseph and Kevin Le Gendre look ahead to some jazz highlights for 2014, plus Kevin rewinds with a classic album from the vaults in this month's 'Now's The Time' featuring pianist Mal Waldron's 'Hard Talk'.
    Geoffrey has no playlist as yet
    Witty, intelligent and soulful, alto saxophonist Cannonball Adderley became a superstar in the 1950s and '60s, leading his funky, fun-loving quintet. Geoffrey Smith showcases such Adderley hits as the gospel waltz "This Here".
    Jon3

The Claudia Quintet have been grooving somewhere in the space between jazz, minimalism and post-rock for over 15 years. This performance at a special London Jazz Festival edition of Jez Nelson's Jazz in the Round event shows that bandleader and composer John Hollenbeck's music sounds as fresh as ever. The set, with guest pianist Tom Cawley, features music from their Royal Toast album - pieces named after toilet manufacturers from around the world, although happily, this is about as far as the connection goes!

Also in the programme, Finnish trio Mopo are in session. 'Mopo' means 'moped' in Finnish, and the name matches their raw, at times punkish approach; but it also evokes a more playful element to the music, summed up by the group's more than occasional use of children's toys.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Tenor Freak
    • Dec 2010

WHERE'S JLU GONE? Its flippin opera...

Only caught the end of JRR but thanks to whoever it was who requested Erykah Badu. I have long thought she's a jazz singer masqerading as R 'n' B and I had intended to submit a request of one of hers. So what if she doesn't do a version of My Funny Valentine.
    all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Yes, they tend to swap JLU to 4 pm whenever they have an early start opera. At least they give us two hours Jazz, and I thought both JLU and JRR were excellent. The tenor player from Guadeloupe, Schwarz -Bart, was great.

Cannonball Adderley to come later. I guess life could be worse.

Probably in a minority of one, and dare I admit it - quite partial to Die Fledermaus!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
        WHERE'S JLU GONE? Its flippin opera...
        Shortchanged again!

Looking forward to 2.5 hours of Jazz whilst driving down the M1 - tuned in at ~ 1655 to hear the closing chords of JLU! I caught the whole of JRR, but then had to seek radio solace elsewhere for the rest of the journey. I thought jazz fans were going to be treated to their regular jazz slot on Saturday nights - seems not.

OG
        Last edited by Old Grumpy; 12-01-14, 23:17. Reason: JLU --> JRR

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

I'm still struggling to come to grips with the Robert Glasper album. I haven't heard it in it's entirety but all the kids were playing this when I went to the jazz festival in Vienne in 2012. The music was everywhere yet , to my ears, there is little real jazz on the album. It is a really slick pop record yet I'm not sure if it will seem quite so hot in 2024. I feel it's got a limited shelf life and wonder where Glasper's future lies. He seems to produce quite a few records as well as playing and I feel this might prove to be his ultimate musical destination. That said, I've heard his play with a trio and he was brilliant as well as being an excellent compare. When he played a gig in Southampton he told a great story about people turning up to hear Keith Jarrett play the Village Vanguard and the audience being in fear of one of his notorious out bursts.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Shortchanged again!

Looking forward to 2.5 hours of Jazz whilst driving down the M1 - tuned in at ~ 1655 to hear the closing chords of JLU! I caught the whole of JLU, but then had to seek radio solace elsewhere for the rest of the journey. I thought jazz fans were going to be treated to their regular jazz slot on Saturday nights - seems not.

OG
            "When I was a radio critic, the
            controller, Roger Wright, would
            take me to lunch and tell me what
            was going to be happening that
            season. I’d eat all the oysters I
            could cram into my gob and then
            repay him by complaining about the
            amount of jazz that his station
            played – but compared to the way
            it is today, back then the station
            was a treat."

Nick Lezard - New Statesman, November 2013.

BN.

"Oystergate"

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

OK chaps - synchronise watches - it's now 13.29.

Next Saturday, scramble for 5 pm JRR - JLU 6pm for 1.5 hours - followed by Also sprach Zarathustra.

Geoffrey Smith - a five star programme
              That really gave me a deep insight into Cannonball. At least the first part of the programme before he went into Worksong. If it were a cutting contest between Cannonball and Trane on Limehouse Blues, Cannonball ahead on points, imv.

But Geoffrey seemed to be talking about two types of Soul - An inner musical spirit, which Cannonball had in great abundance, and secondly a commercial type of music, full of cliches, and generally talking down to the audience.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                OK chaps - synchronise watches - it's now 13.29.

Next Saturday, scramble for 5 pm JRR - JLU 6pm for 1.5 hours - followed by Also sprach Zarathustra.

Geoffrey Smith - a five star programme
                That really gave me a deep insight into Cannonball. At least the first part of the programme before he went into Worksong. If it were a cutting contest between Cannonball and Trane on Limehouse Blues, Cannonball ahead on points, imv.

But Geoffrey seemed to be talking about two types of Soul - An inner musical spirit, which Cannonball had in great abundance, and secondly a commercial type of music, full of cliches, and generally talking down to the audience.
                Radio 3 would NEVER talk down to the audience.....thats why Roger has more soul than The Impressions....

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

At school there used to be a prayer which went something along the lines of, "Oh Lord, let us help ourselves to keep our souls". Needless to say, we turned the last two words into something else.

Comment

Working...
                  X