X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

And now it's RIP Yusef Lateef

The multi-instrumentalist died yesteday aged 93.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
    The multi-instrumentalist died yesteday aged 93.
    I supose to be expected given his age but a great player who I have enjoyed over very many years.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Christmas is unusually tough in its annual cull this year ..

oboe and swirling rhythms

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Yusef Latef played at Vienne this year which was pretty remarkable. Unfortunately the freely improvised set with Ahmed Jamal was all owl hoots and tiny percussion instruments and not too good. It got rained off about about 30 mins.

Two things stick in my mind about Yusef Latef. The first was that my piano teacher had a book of his exot5ic scales. We tend to forget the role than jazz musicians play in education and I believe Latef's was significant.

The other memory is hearing him perform with the Belomondo brother's orchestra at Vienne in 2006. This was when they presented music from the album "Influence." Having no preconseption of these French jazz musicians I expected that they might be a distraction to the American. As it turned out, the writing by the brothers, Christophe Del Sasso and Latef was exceptional and I was knocked out by the music. This is one of the best concerts I've been to and , thanks to Youtube, it is now possible to enjoy again....

I am sure there will be many who will share my enthusiasm for this wonderful music.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

RIP.... bought a real dud in 70's when I used to go into Revolver Records in Bristol and just take pot luck of new releases....
          bong ching

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

...and picking up on the other thread about the influence of Duke....

I think this music is absolutely terrific. Latef was one of the greats and the meetin with the 2 brothers as amazing piece of fortune.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

I am sick to death of these RIP threads...I know about the circle of life and all that but I do wish my heroes wouldn't keep dying off like this

I'll remember this:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

He appears to have done rather more than I knew about - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yusef_Lateef

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

yes Dave2002 i always felt he was one of the less sung heroes of the art of jazz ...... and yet a highly capable innovative and thoughtful musician ...
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Listened to" Live at Peps" on Spanish radio over Christmas....glorious stuff and a great band. James Black on drums, N.O. giant and leg-end. "Yusef tried to save me but too late for that!"

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

a touching memoir of Yusef Lateef on NPR

Comment

• burning dog
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                        yes Dave2002 i always felt he was one of the less sung heroes of the art of jazz ...... and yet a highly capable innovative and thoughtful musician ...

I agree Calum, probably not enough were directly influenced by him for him to be lauded as much as he deserved. He was an outstanding and original voice who could refresh the most workaday setting

Eastern Sounds
                        The entire album
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                          I agree Calum, probably not enough were directly influenced by him for him to be lauded as much as he deserved. He was an outstanding and original voice who could refresh the most workaday setting

Eastern Sounds
                          The entire album
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKGnMSYbnJ0
                          I think you will find a lot of the players who came out of Detroit were in awe of him as a player educator and mentor. Very highly respected for his integrity and example. And being a good friend when the chips were down. Charles Mcpherson is good on all this.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                            I think you will find a lot of the players who came out of Detroit were in awe of him as a player educator and mentor. Very highly respected for his integrity and example. And being a good friend when the chips were down. Charles Mcpherson is good on all this.

BN.
                            I'm not surprised by that, he didn't' seem to have many "copyists" though which is how lazy Jazz journalism tends to be written

Comment

Working...
                            X