• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

... keyboards in jazz

electric keyboard devices, hammond wind pumps, etc have all been chosen by jazz artists from time to time

here is virtuoso Evans playing his guilty pleasure [from 1' 56" nb the sweetness of switch]

and if i could find some Ray Charles vamping away on an early electric i'd put that up too .....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Hancock's ten minutes...

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

or topically

For the first time ever, Abdullah Ibrahim, formally known as Dollar Brand, went to Robin Island, where Mandela was imprisoned. All forms of music were banne...

Comment

• Paul Campbell
        • Nov 2010

Nothing better than a bit of B3 to cheer up a grey winter day; Jimmy Smith, Baby Face, Brother Jack, Dr Lonnie etc etc.

Here's one of Big John's finest...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Liam Noble's 10 favourite keyboard/synthesiser tracks:

Liam Noble. Photo credit: Dave Stapleton Pianist Liam Noble has a new improvising project with synthesizers…working with dancer Maya Takeda (link to video below) which he describes as “…

Liam's view is that rather blame electronics for diluting jazz it's what you do with it that matters. I concur.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Wow, S_A - how did you find this thread? The last post was in the early part of the previous decade! Did you actually remember it, or perhaps you searched for "keyboard" in thread titles?

P.S. Nice Ray Charles clip here

Last edited by Old Grumpy; 19-06-24, 18:11.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

Given the way that technology is progressing with the likes of AI being used to create music and threaten the role of musicians, the argument about keyboards seems a bit twee. I doubt if anyone could have predicted AI to produce music when this thread was first posted.

I read that Keith Jarrett had refused to use keyboards with Miles Davis as he considered them to be toys. In my opinion the sound of Hammond B3s and Fender Rhodes are very much part of the jazz sound these days. Synthesisers are more problematic and I feel tend to date recordings more than anything else. You cannot beat the modern piano which was an improvement on earlier fortepianos and harpsichords. Seeing as it is now possible to manipulate the sound of a piano electronically, I think that this probably more interesting that what can be done with a synthesizer.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                • Dec 2010

I miss Calum's contributions to this board. His insight was always spot in and I think he had an open mind to jazz. I was surprised how different he came across on the one time I spoke to him on the phone. He was really down to earth with no pretensions.

It was a shame that the initial intention for the contributors to.meet up in London never came to fruition. I have enjoyed the company of Calum and Bruce, the only 2 members I have met. Is anyone up for a meeting?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                  I miss Calum's contributions to this board.
                  That was my first thought when I clicked onto S_A's post #5 and looked at the previous posts.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

I had a spare half hour - pretty unusual in my case these days! - and decided to go back to beginnings to see who we still have in our circle, and the sorts of things we were talking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X