X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

The Modern Jazz Disciples

A recent discovery for me. The Modern Jazz Disciples' little-known PRESTIGE albums from 1959/60 have just been reissued on FRESH SOUND(FSR CD 793)

The Modern Jazz DisciplesCurtis Peagler (as,ts), William 'Hike' Kelley (nopho, eupho), William 'Billy' Brown (p), Lee Tucker (b), Ron McCurdy (ds)Album:" The...
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 10-12-13, 11:57.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

yep an obscure and shortlived group
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      yep an obscure and shortlived group
      Weird! I also discovered this bunch on Utube about six months ago....I think Curtis went on to play with Ray and Basie?

There is a shed load of excellent players of this era and the 60s under the radar on Yewsrube. Who needs R3.

BN.

Comment

• MarkG
        • Apr 2011

Interesting...

The fourth member was William "Hicky" Kelley (born March 12, 1929, Cincinnati, OH), who was employed on two instruments that are hardly prominent in jazz: One was the euphonium and the other was a normaphone (a rare, little-known type of valve trombone that was shaped like an alto sax). McCurdy, an Irish immigrant who grew up in Belfast, had moved to the U.S. in 1951...

Comment

Working...
        X