• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
    I know that BN. I was supposing he'd got less aloof with age.
    doubt that bd; speaking personally age rarely engenders further engagement with the other drooling idiots ... and comes to see that it is more polite not enter conversations ...

that said the last time i saw him live in Leicester it was the moment he started playing when the breath was sucked in and the wow filled my brain, he was so utterly compelling as a performer then just as he had been fifty years or so ago ..

he chats amiably enough here

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      doubt that bd; speaking personally age rarely engenders further engagement with the other drooling idiots ... and comes to see that it is more polite not enter conversations ...

that said the last time i saw him live in Leicester it was the moment he started playing when the breath was sucked in and the wow filled my brain, he was so utterly compelling as a performer then just as he had been fifty years or so ago ..

he chats amiably enough here

Just listening to the Little Klunk album again and I can't think of a European pianist in the late 50s who had absorbed so much of Herbie Nichols, Monk and Ellington as Stan did. Most were chasing Wynton Kelly or Horace...

Its a wonderful album...and Phil Seamen...

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
        • Nov 2010

I am squeezing an short tribute to Stan on JRR this afternoon. (Change to published playlist), and would really like your requests for a Stan obit edition in January. Post here or email me c/o JRR. My own tribute (apart from big Times obit, currently online, but due in print for Monday) is here: http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news...y-alyn-shipton

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          I am squeezing an short tribute to Stan on JRR this afternoon. (Change to published playlist), and would really like your requests for a Stan obit edition in January. Post here or email me c/o JRR. My own tribute (apart from big Times obit, currently online, but due in print for Monday) is here: http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/news...y-alyn-shipton
          Nice piece, Alyn - thanks for the link.

OG

Comment

• Anna

Even Breakfast today gave us some Milk Wood (in admidst various vacuous tweets)

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Only a recent convert to Stan Tracey, but I was sad to hear the news.

There was a tribute to Stan on Radio 4, 6 pm news on Friday. I found this a bit strange, as it emphasised how little money Stan earnt at Ronnie Scotts in the 60's, and that he seriously considered giving it all up and becoming a postman.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                Only a recent convert to Stan Tracey, but I was sad to hear the news.

There was a tribute to Stan on Radio 4, 6 pm news on Friday. I found this a bit strange, as it emphasised how little money Stan earnt at Ronnie Scotts in the 60's, and that he seriously considered giving it all up and becoming a postman.
                I dont think Ronnie was ever renowned for paying but it was more Stan's exhaustion and problems, and the general downturn in demand for acoustic jazz as rock really kicked in. In the States even McCoy Tyner was driving a cab and grasping at gigs as a back up pianist for Jimmy Witherspoon. Kenny Dorham was working a counter in a NY department store.

BN.

I was watching a French film last night about "angry youth" where they grooved to Stan Getz and JATP! That was 1958...in a few years it would be Vince Taylor and the Ya Ya girls.
                Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 08-12-13, 00:18.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

I flirted with jazz in my younger days, quite seriously, actually, but eventually found I was a melodist and largely averse to abstraction. However, I still recall the exhilaration of hearing 'Little Klunk' which my father had someone smuggle out of the BBC grams library.

Looking back, you can hear a little too much Monk in it perhaps, but, at the time, I felt I was coming across something very original. Certainly, in British jazz terms, Tracey was taking a step into the bold.

It must have been good, and I'm sure still is, for I was all of 13 and I can still see the LP with its curious cartoon figure held in my hands.

Have a good rest, Stan! Your family are proud as punch but I think you knew that long since.

SHB

Comment

• Jazzrook
                    • Mar 2011

'Radio 2 pays tribute to the late British jazz pianist, composer and band leader Stan Tracey(1926-2013) with another chance to hear a 2005 concert that marked the 40th anniversary of his jazz suite Under Milk Wood'(Tuesday March 4, 10pm).

In tribute to Stan Tracey, his Under Milk Wood suite, recorded in concert.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Brecon Jazz 2014 programme announced today (booking from Friday) includes:

A Tribute to Stan Tracey
                      Clark Tracey leads a Quintet who will perform Stan Tracey's last album The Flying Pig

Do Not Go Gentle: Wales Meets Dylan Thomas
                      Huw Warren's new jazz suite for Quartet, respectfully dedicated to Stan Tracey

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

good to see the continuing attention for Stan Tracey

i am sure that Monk was an artist Mr Tracey admired but he also admired Ellington [as did Monk] looking back it is apparent to this listener how much Ellington there is in both Mr T and Mr M's playing
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                          good to see the continuing attention for Stan Tracey

i am sure that Monk was an artist Mr Tracey admired but he also admired Ellington [as did Monk] looking back it is apparent to this listener how much Ellington there is in both Mr T and Mr M's playing
                          I always regret never having asked Stan if he'd met Monk or Duke Ellington.

Comment

Working...
                          X