• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Broonzy on BBC4 - tonight!

Not to be missed methinks!

9.00 The Man Who Brought The Blues to Britain: Big Bill Broonzy

New. Exploring the origins and life of the influential musician, uncovering the mystery of who he really was and charting his journey from the Deep South to international fame.
  • Don Petter

Set to record.

Did anyone else see the Rick Stein programme on the Blues earlier this evening? I thought it was a great production, as I have great regard for Rick and early blues.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yes i did and share your view that it was great!

and just caqught the Broonzy on iPlayer .... what a towering figure Broonzy remains ... he put the bent notes in all our heads
      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 02-12-13, 12:57.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

The programme was terrific. Anyone who enjoyed it must read this book:l[-

I found the conclusions really eye opening and shattered by opinion of country blues being some ancient style of music that existed back in the mists of time. These musicians were bang up to date with fashion and were following on from the success of female artists in the early 20's. As was hinted, the country blues artists had a small following with most records being bought by women. The most successful blues musicians from a commercial point of view were those like the excellent Leroy Carr who Broonzy modelled his 30's style upon. Broonzy sounded fabulous but Elijah Wald is more critical citing quantity over quality with his output. Amazed that Carr is not more widely appreciated and I love his piano playing too.

Where is Grippie these days?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Where is Grippie these days?
          good question Ian!
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tom Audustus

I read the Elijah Wald book last year and really enjoyed it. It does debunk the romantic myths of the delta blues and places the music against the trends that were current at that time. It is a really good read.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

this one Tom?

Comment

• Tom Audustus

That's the one. Perfect for the Xmas stocking.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Fascinating portrait of Big Bill...I like Guy Davis, who played a couple of Broonzy tunes in the doc. Here he is in fine form performing Robert Wilkins' 'That's no way to get along'.
                  GUY DAVIS and FABRIZIO POGGI THAT'S NO WAY TO GET ALONG (Robert Wilkins)live at Bergamo TV(Incontri)

Comment

Working...
                  X