Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Trotignon is a brilliant pianist. I last5 heard him with Aldo Romono's group wit5 Enrico Rava and the album is very enjoyable too:[-

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      After I posted the last message, I discovered this album by Mark Turner and Baptiste Trotignon: Dusk Is A Quiet Place.

This is a fine album and I wish I had heard it when I sent my request. I have been listening to a lot of Turner's music of late.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/mu...lace-1.1623301
      scored this on your reccy Tenor _Freak and it is truly wunnerful eh!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        scored this on your reccy Tenor _Freak and it is truly wunnerful eh!
        Glad you like it - I've been listening to it a lot...it really is a cracker.

A new year resolution is to request more contemporary stuff on JRR. I've already sent one in to Alyn and his "possee" (sic) (no autoreply so don't know if it got past the R£3 Brit Trad Filters).

Here's some more Mark Turner - easily my favourite tenor man of the moment - now I don't normally listen to solo horn stuff but this whole album is compelling:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Bruce it did. 15 March looking likely...

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

Excellent - <thanks> Alyn
            all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Glad you like it - I've been listening to it a lot...it really is a cracker.

A new year resolution is to request more contemporary stuff on JRR. I've already sent one in to Alyn and his "possee" (sic) (no autoreply so don't know if it got past the R£3 Brit Trad Filters).

Here's some more Mark Turner - easily my favourite tenor man of the moment - now I don't normally listen to solo horn stuff but this whole album is compelling:

Thanks for that clip TF. Interesting how Prokofiev-type harmonies are making their way into jazz now. My late acquaintance Pete Saberton would be well pleased - a big Prokofiev fan, he was.

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Without A Net. "Pegasus" being my favourite track...but it's 23 minutes long...so please play Plaza Real (7:00)
                Yes sir! On the basis of this album, the Quartet is unquestionably the best Jazz group on the planet. trying not to overhype, Wayne is certainly the most inventive and unpredictable horn player known to mankind.

I made the pilgrimage to the Barbican last year to see Wayne, but he seemed to be going through a quiet period. I guess live concerts may be unpredictable, although I had not been disappointed previously with Rollins and Coleman. However next year,I think I will stick to the smaller venues in North London, and avoid the stellar names.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Oddball

The last time I saw Wayne Shorter he was a bit slow to get started and it took a while for the band to ignite. I think I've seen them on four occasions as well as the quartet that toured with Hancock, Holland and Blade which effectively covered the same kind of territory. There is a new album with the string ensemble to look forward to in the autumn.

Comment

Working...
                  X