X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Dinah Washington R3, Sat 26 Feb 4.00pm

Thought I just pop it in here in case you Jazz fiends are interested. Although not into jazz as such, I think she is the best thing since sliced bread. S. Raffety just played her on In Tune - and she's just great! Drinking Again and Fly me to the Moon are two of my favourite tracks.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

*bump*
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Nice try, Pianorak. Judging from what CDaJ said, jazbos aren't much taken with female singers
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

there is one lady who sings jazz BILLIE!

...but there are followers of others ...check the announcer here
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Well, I did last the full hour and realized I'm probably not made for that genre. In the end I thought there was just a bit too much "(almost) shouting", sprechgesang and sameness. As Vladimir Ashkenazy said about pop music: "It excites but doesn't nourish". Even so, I thought the two presenters were most engaging and very knowledgeable. Have just ordered another Washington disc and must look out for her with Quincy Jones and the trio we heard right at the beginning of the programme. Wow, that piano was quite something!

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Agreed - a thoroughly enjoyable Jazz Library, and one to which I will listen again.

As for the claims that she in not a Jazz singer, she comes in at No. 4 in a WAER poll of top Female Jazz Singers, beaten only by Ella, Billie and Sarah:

The requested page could not be found.

4. DINAH WASHINGTON

Ruth Lee Jones got her start in Chicago as a gospel singer, but began performing in nightclubs in her teens. When she sang with Lionel Hampton, she took the name under which she became a star. She got the nickname "Queen of the Blues" for her many blues and R & B hits, but also made jazz albums with both small and large groups, and attained much success in mainstream pop as well. Her large, dramatic voice and musical versatility influenced such later jazz singers as Nancy Wilson and Diane Schuur.

Comment

• Pianorak
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
              Agreed - a thoroughly enjoyable Jazz Library, and one to which I will listen again.
              Just been listening again on iPlayer and then went off to amazon and ordered a couple more CDs, "For Those in Love" and "The Essential D.W." Probably get the Quincy Jones with her as well.

I think amazon should pay for this Forum's server!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

..i do not think you would get a serious argument that Dinah is not a jazz singer .... try this

an album not featured in the programme ....

the pianist is Wynton Kelly, known but not nearly well enough; this is Kelly in a trio that was the rhythm section of the Miles Davis Sextet [with Canonball Adderley and John Coltrane ..essentially the group that made Kind of Blue ... with some input from Bill Evans and the lesser known but stunning Milestones]

happy to see that Alyn's programme drew a broader response!

if you like Mr Kelly's playing see the album of the day thread
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Pianorak
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks, Calum for the various links. I suppose I'd have to listen to more Billie before appreciating her. "My Man" is just too depressing - doesn't strike me as a jazz number (talking from a position of ignorance!), but more like a torch song.
                  The Dinah Jams track - yep, fine and dandy. And the Wynton Kelly is just great!! While listening to all that I've been rummiging among some old tapes and came across: Dexter Gordon "Take the 'A' Train" and "Body and Soul"; Thelonious Monk: "The London Collection: Volume Two"; and Art Tatum: "The V-Discs". Must have got those many more years ago than I care to remember. But probably worth another listen now. I suppose they are "proper" jazz. - Didn't realize that "Blues" isn't considered part of Jazz. Live and learn!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

i have never known a discussion of what is, or is not, jazz to shed more light than heat Pianorak ....

Billie Holiday is jazz, just by breathing; no technical or analytic scheme required, she is it ....

jazz is permeated with blues but Muddy Waters is a Blues Man not a jazz artist [but try to find a jazbo who doesn't like his music!]

Wynton Kelly started out in R&B, as did many famous jazz artists and i suspect he, like his colleagues, would not draw much of a distinction between the genres so beloved of those who used to design retail shelving .... [incidentally the use of genre tags by such as amazon is truly uneducated and they are by no means the worst!]

that is a very appealing little set of treasures you have rediscovered, i wish you their full joy ...

Comment

• Pianorak
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      i have never known a discussion of what is, or is not, jazz to shed more light than heat Pianorak ....
                      O good, I can stop worrying! "Mehr Licht" (Goethe, allegedly) - however, if it ain't available, "what's the use of worrying" (Anthony Newley).

Just one more:
                      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by Pianorak; 27-02-11, 15:40.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The list is interesting and informative. A good starting point for further exploration. I have Nina at 1, Billie at 2 and Ella at 3.

- Can't argue with the Billie Holiday rating.
                        - I like Dinah Washington.
                        - Never got Sarah Vaughan. Not distinctive enough for me.
                        - The Nina Simone position is disappointing. Is this because she is less easy to categorize, musically more wide-ranging?
                        - Cleo Laine - I'm intrigued to hear what the jazz experts think of her, the Dankworth connection etc.
                        - Diana Krall - Again, interested to hear reactions. Often name checked, particularly by Barbra Streisand.
                        - Marlena Shaw - I was completely ignorant. I always associated her with "California Soul".
                        - Janis Siegel - Interesting inclusion. Maybe there was more to Manhattan Transfer than some realised?!
                        - No Julie London, I notice. Too middle of the road? Underrated in my view.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-03-11, 16:06.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                          The list is interesting and informative. A good starting point for further exploration . . .
                          Agree about Sarah Vaughan.
                          Listened to Diana Krall on YouTube because been reading good reviews. Good instrumentalist - but disappointed with her voice and interpretations.
                          Julie London, unforgettable for her "Cry me a River".

Not into jazz - but am exploring. Current crop of white female singers (prefer not to mention names 'cause of my ignorance) I find insipid and vocally totally uninteresting.

For me increasingly Dinah Washington is "it", with Ella perhaps second.

Overall I prefer small instrumental groups, such as Wynton Kelly (thanks Calum) and other trios, quartets and quintets. And whilst I can admire the greats such as Billie Holiday (and Miles Davis) I don't think I'll ever grow to love them. However, as you say it's an interesting list and I'll explore further.
                          Edit: Just heard Miles Davis and (Coleman Hawks ?) which was just great!
                          Also, D.W/Q.J.'s version of Cry me A River - hmm, prefer Julie London by a mile!
                          Last edited by Pianorak; 06-03-11, 15:05.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

must agree with you Lateral re the Divine Miss London ... a wonderful singer and urge you to try again with Ms Vaughan

Nina is Nina is Nina ....

Helen Merrill knocks the rest for six .... except Cleo Laine who is also something special in my book ...

and the disgrace of that list is no Abbey Lincoln

like many hard core jazbos i am reluctant to concede that singers do jazz; but a jazz singer is an artist that fits in the music of a jazz performance and also inspires it .... not many do the latter, many more can fit in .....

Comment

• gurnemanz
                              • Nov 2010

Interesting list with some surprising omissions:

I don't see how you can miss out Ethel Waters:
                              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lee Wiley, another personal favourite, is also absent:

Quintessential 1951 recording by the wonderful vocalist Lee Wiley

Comment

Working...
                              X