• Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Tommy Whittle 1926 - 2013

guardian

telegraph

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Rcartes
    • Feb 2011

Sad news, and I somehow missed the obituary in the Guardian here.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

I've got a tape of TW playing Lush Life live from sometime in the early 70s.

A really lovely version.

BN.

Comment

• burning dog
        • Dec 2010

Dad was quite freindly wilth Joe Muddel and Harry Klein who were regulars in the Tommy Whittle bands that played often around Soho in 53/54 . In the early days Tony Kinsey seemed to have first call on TW as in... "for one night only (until next Thursday) 'The Tony Kinsey Trio with Tommy Whittle'" though Tommy was already a band leader.

I associate him more with the Hopbine pub in Wembley, though too young for the "Tubby" recordings made there. He was a often on Peter Clayton's late night programme when I was a lad and I heard him at the Bulls Head a few times.

Dad's got a fairly good memory, worked out exactly how old Tommy was without looking it up, but other facts approximate.

A TW record from that time - 1955
        (sleeve on video doesn't match)

Comment

• Rcartes
          • Feb 2011

There's a nice obituary by Peter Vacher in today's Guardian here.

Amongst other things he tells us that Tommy was a refugee from playing the banjo (some escape for him - and us) and that at one point he led a band playing at the Dorchester Hotel with Bonny Wellins as a sideman. Bet the usual punters didn't notice...

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Bonny Wellins

I know he's Scottish but hadn't heard him called that

Comment

Working...
            X