Clear All
  • burning dog
    • Dec 2010

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

amen to that burning dog, amen ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo;343548[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03d6tlq"
        Julian[/URL] does more Quercus for those who like that sort of thing
        The problem I had with Quercus this week is that, not wishing to be rude to a lovely singer, but June Tabor was singing the wrong material. Love songs such as How Insensitive should be sung by a more youthful voice, IMV.
        Julian, how abiout Esperanza Spaulding, Diana Krall....?

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Re BN's comments above, I'm used along with the other presenters to taking flak, where it's due. But if BN wants music other than what he terms "songs for dead 50s metallurgists" then how about more requests? I am scrupulous about trying to represent the balance of styles asked for in the post and e-post bag. OK I may not have played one or two tracks BN has asked for in the last 15 months (though I have certainly played two of his requests) but to hear more and different stiff on JRR then ask for it. Otherwise them as asks will get, them as moans but don't ask won't.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
            Re BN's comments above, I'm used along with the other presenters to taking flak, where it's due. But if BN wants music other than what he terms "songs for dead 50s metallurgists" then how about more requests? I am scrupulous about trying to represent the balance of styles asked for in the post and e-post bag. OK I may not have played one or two tracks BN has asked for in the last 15 months (though I have certainly played two of his requests) but to hear more and different stiff on JRR then ask for it. Otherwise them as asks will get, them as moans but don't ask won't.
            No, that's far too glib and easy...its the Paul Dacre response, "We reflect our audience"

No, you bloody shape it and you get back what you give out and their declining expectations.

There is really no point to R3 anymore. Where's the edge?

BN.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

And to answer my own question, the response is Youtube.

An entire history of this music...this week for me from Eddie Taylor to Roy Milton to Mal Waldron to Clifford Jordon to Lockjaw, Bill Dixon, Oliver Lake to some 50s Danish guy playing baritone I've never heard of...No not Gullin.

For once in my lifetime...its ALL there. In my youth long long ago I used to have to search the French airways for Mose Allison....thank God for Frank Tunot for that...So WHAT is R3's role now? Norman Granz for the retired geologist? The latest polite white sleepwalker from Guildhall? Where's the current Charles Fox? Where's the "Noise", any noise, as the anarchists used to say. ..

Its Sleep.

BN.
              Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 22-10-13, 17:37.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

............... and NPR

Nat

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  ............... and NPR

Nat

Yes, and that too!

And to close my rant...I can still remember, coming home from school, switching on the Third and hearing Charles Fox introduce Joe Harriot's quin playing "Movements". Burnt into my memory and opened me up to the idea that this music had life, energy, challenge, even politics...and a hell of a lot more out there if you looked...and someone pointed. No longer there. That's the real sadness/outrage. The life has been sucked out.

BN.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                    • Dec 2010

Bluesnik

I'm sorry but I have got to pick you up on your assessments. I don't understand how you can complain about JRR as it is entirely shaped by the audience. For me, it is the one programme where you can hear the full range of jazz and by that I am not talking about your jazz ticklist from about 1945-1970 with 71 yr old Oilver Lake's name thrown in to sound hip. For what it is worth, there was nearly thirty years of recorded jazz before your criteria and 43 years from the arbitrary cut off date. It's a bit rich criticising a play list when your own suggestion covers less than 50% of the music's history!

I take your point to a degree about sets by "white, Guildhall graduates" but I think jazz has moved on and you haven't really moved with it. Where is the edge, you suggest but I things several of us have posted links to all sorts of contemporary jazz which has just as much bite as anything recorded in the mid-60's. It is interesting reading people's different perspectives on the music and reading the wide and sometimes controversial comments pasted here. Yes, Youtube is a brilliant alternative but I feel that a programme like JRR is rather like the way an article in "When Saturday comes" this month described "Match of the day" as perhaps a bit old-fashioned with the wall-to-wall coverage of football these days but it is reassuring that it is still there.

The only point I will say was that I was a bit confused by Alyn's comment about doing away with the chronological nature of GS's editions. I love the fact that you can tune in and hear something from the 20's /30's (largely unrepresented elsewhere) and than can wizz forward to the present day.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

For FUKS sake Ian, how difficult is it for you to get your head around what I have said? And the wider meaning?

The presenter shapes what we will think acceptable?...On what they accept? Or rule out that track... it will never play. Bland leading the bland? Aint Bobby.

Even for you...not so hard? Really?
                      Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 22-10-13, 23:13.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                        • Dec 2010

Hey, you and R3 deserve each other.

I have a Dionne Warwick box set with more jazz content.

Voiced trombones. "Walk on By", behind the vocal? Cooler than Bobby Brookmeyer...
                        Dionne on R3...my kinda.

Jass.

We are ALL being stiffed Ian, regardless of our taste (s) ....wake up and smell the toffee.
                        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 22-10-13, 23:55.

Comment

• burning dog
                          • Dec 2010

Its the historical dead end we're living in innit?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                            • Dec 2010

Yes, we are all going to die but I'm clutching my Jackie Mclean Bluenotes for street cred.

Better than potatoes in a nuclear war.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

i was contemplating my impending mortality the other day and the highs and lows of life in particular [mine] and in general [all of us] and came to the view that it just does not matter .... caring is false consciousness .... caring is falling into the mind set of the bland leading the bland or the gangsters .... what is in front of you is what it is, all else is memory, illusion and wish .... be dangerous don't give a fuck .... i cannot lock in to the mediocrity [at best] that R3, and the country is now ....

... and back to what intrigues me , the change in Louis's style of playing .... not just chops [if at all given his work rate] ... W Marsalis once described it as poetry or some such - mebbe even on the Third Programme - he certainly seems to be saying something new/different .... as Riccardi says he did not fall down some 'commercial' 'jim crow' entertainment schmozzle pit ... he always entertained but did it differently .... his late style is incredibly emotional and his singing gets me evey time [apart from the dreadful Dolly that is]

Comment

• burning dog
                                • Dec 2010

I dont think IT, everything, does not matter. It Jazz Black music in relation to progress. Remember they used to complain, no black music on MTV? Like Geese complaining about Cromwellian Christmas.

Stanley Crouch spoke very eloquently in favour of Louis later playing.
                                Last edited by burning dog; 23-10-13, 01:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X