• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Cannonball Adderley Quintet @ Newport, 1960

Some impassioned playing from the Adderley brothers at Newport J.F., 1960:

I obtained a private collector's tape of the 1960 Newport Jazz Festival concert with way better audio so I overdubbed it on my personal video. Unfortunately...
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
    Some impassioned playing from the Adderley brothers at Newport J.F., 1960:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISkzLXXbOUw
    Nice stuff....Barry Harris?

There's an even better concert from the sextet with Yusef Lateef on Utube (in Germany 1963). Some great playing from all. Nat esp. tends to be overlooked these days.

BN.

Comment

• Rcartes
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

There's an even better concert from the sextet with Yusef Lateef on Utube (in Germany 1963). Some great playing from all. Nat esp. tends to be overlooked these days.

BN.
      I'm pretty sure it's Barry Harris, but is it Louis Hayes on drums? Doesn't really sound like him - compare the playing with that on the Jazz Workshop album recorded in San Francisco. That album is my favourite Adderley Bros session, and This Here (Dis Here) is the standout track, from Cannonball's hilarious intro (Know what I mean? Know what I mean?) to the terrific piano solo by Bobby Timmons (another greatly underrated musician). It swings like b*ggery, too.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
        I'm pretty sure it's Barry Harris, but is it Louis Hayes on drums? Doesn't really sound like him - compare the playing with that on the Jazz Workshop album recorded in San Francisco. That album is my favourite Adderley Bros session, and This Here (Dis Here) is the standout tra, from Cannonball's hilarious intro (Know what I mean? Know what I mean?) to the terrific piano solo by Bobby Timmons (another greatly underrated musician). It swings like b*ggery, too.
        It was Louis Hayes. Hes a hell of drummer. I saw him with McCoy Tyner in 85 and he was astounding. Elvin like attack and complexity.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post

BN.
          Yep, it's Barry Harris. This track, 'Del Sasser', along with excellent versions of Nat Adderley's 'Work Song' & Tadd Dameron's 'Stay On It' from the 1960 Newport J.F. can be found as bonus tracks on a recent CD reissue(2011) 'Them Dirty Blues'(ESSENTIAL JAZZ CLASSIC EJC 55485) which, allegedly, includes all of Cannonball's recordings with Barry Harris.

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

FULL ALBUM

Cannonball Adderley - Alto saxophone
            Bill Evans - Piano
            Percy Heath - Bass
            Connie Kay - Drums

Comment

Working...
            X