• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

jazz'n'books

and the Parker feature in this dense thriller, remember reading it with suitably agape mouth and compulsive attention ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Not my style, I'm afraid Calum.

But a book arrived through the post this morning, which I am also reading "with suitably agape mouth and compulsive attention" :

12 Tone Improvisation -O'Gallagher - +2 CDs. Just what I needed to build on my Grade 3/4 theory, and to propel me into the world of serialism!

Sadly, I can't see myself taking up the tenor sax again.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

way to go Oddball ... actually Koko the book is a quite serious look at the post war trauma of Vietnam vets [interesting that nobody does a book on the Vietnam post war consequences to anything like the USA] and STraub makes good use of both the Ellington and Parker recordings in his narrative ...

i have given my double bass to a school. lost the chops many years back!
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Reading Josef Skvorecky"s minor classic "The Cowards"; a tenor sax player in war end Czechoslovakia as the Germans retreat and the Russians enter. Dark and sarcastic.

BN.

My novel, "Pettiford down the Pits" about a Welsh miner who plays jazz at tbe coal face is still awaiting publication.
        Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 08-10-13, 21:39.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

...who do you fancy for the lead when they make the movie, Hopkins or Sheen?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
            ...who do you fancy for the lead when they make the movie, Hopkins or Sheen?

Well, I thought Tom Jones as its a musical. Great bit where the roof collapses and Pettiford holds it up with his double bass. He plays double stops to keep their spirits up.

Meeting Ken Loach next week.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
              Well, I thought Tom Jones as its a musical. Great bit where the roof collapses and Pettiford holds it up with his double bass. He plays double stops to keep their spirits up.

Meeting Ken Loach next week.

BN.
              Reminds me of the seven-foot tall Welsh miner who saved his comrades from a roof fall by acting as a pit prop. "Yes, I can appreciate his having a flat head", said Prince Charles on being introduced, "But how do you account for the fellow's cauliflour ear?" "Well, the only way we could release him was by bashing the side of his head with a sledgehammer", came the reply.

Comment

Working...
              X