..... kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean flicks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

..... kind of guitar I want to play is mean, mean flicks.

Alyn is at the flicks i fancy the Duke Jordan opener ...

Geoffrey is also at the Rialto Kensal Green ... although what he might be up to in that back row is perhaps best left unsaid ...

Julian
    presents the second installment of a duo piano concert set by Alex Wilson and Cesar Correa recorded at the Pizza Express jazz club in Soho, London as part of the Steinway Piano Festival. The performance also features accompaniment from Elpidio Caicedo on bass and Will Fry on percussion.
    ... and features a track from Empirical's new album, not so well reviewed in the Graun

pardon my saying so but Jon3 is unmissable this week; it features Rudresh Mahanthappa and Gamak and should be an exciting session ..
    Mahanthappa is second-generation Indian-American and his music reflects this heritage: the classical Carnatic tradition of southern India is absorbed into a progressive jazz language that takes in complex, muscular rhythmic patterns as well as hip-hop grooves. In Gamak he casts his net even wider, pulling in Americana, go-go and heavy metal along the way too. The band's name comes from the south Indian term for melodic ornamentation, so it's fitting that he's joined in this group by guitarist Dave 'Fuze' Fiuczynski, known for his intricate, microtonal playing and for whom Mahanthappa wrote much of the music. The band is completed by longtime collaborators Francois Moutin (bass) and Dan Weiss on drums.
    the voice of Hollywood but never on screen

Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 23-09-13, 15:34. Reason: oops link for Julian! and Fordham error
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
    Alyn is at the flicks i fancy the Duke Jordan opener ...

Geoffrey is also at the Rialto Kensal Green ... although what he might be up to in that back row is perhaps best left unsaid ...

Julian

... and features a track from Empirical's new album, well reviewed in the Graun

pardon my saying so but Jon3 is unmissable this week; it features Rudresh Mahanthappa and Gamak and should be an exciting session ..

the voice of Hollywood but never on screen

FLICK...for a moment there I thought you were talking about Brit leg-end guitarist de session Vic Flick. CKOUT the Classique "Beat Girl" 1959 movie where Adam Faith goes all girly James Dean and Vic does the twanging.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

sheesh documenatry evidence that King Kenny was played by Christopher Lee
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

sheesh documenatry evidence that King Kenny was played by Christopher Lee
        My partner and I bumped against Adam in Harrods at Christmas 1985. She said loudly, "hes so small isnt he! " Faith was about/only 5ft.5 ish enveloped in a very pricey leatber Levi jacket. Then again, so was Comrade Stalin.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

i thought the Empirical track was great; new album shame about their awful website [doesn't work] and Fordham's unenthusiastic three star review in the graun ...

these guys demand our attention ...

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

I have an uneasy feeling that the over enthusiastic, praising to the skies of the film Round Midnight by Kevin and Julian, may be a foretaste of what we can expect when JLU is moved to early evening. Assume it is designed to appeal to a younger element who need to be told what to listen to. For myself however profoundly irritating.

But Jon3 righted the balance.
            Last edited by Quarky; 24-09-13, 08:28. Reason: taking long term view

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

i must say it was a tad tiresome Oddball but i confess to finding Mr Le Gendre often unpersuasive ...

on the other hand Rudresh Mahanthappa and Gamak were exciting; the session on Jon3 is still up ....

skipped the Jon 3 Westbrook feature alas another unpersuasive act for me ....

as to movies how about

by Lennie and some inspired editing!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

I'd recomend having a go at the Westbrook stuff on there - what they do these days may be tangential compared to what it once was but that's down to the ways of the world and it still packs a punch, in my estimation. Their trio with the ever-dependable Chris Biscoe appears at Lauderdale House on Nov 7th, and I shall do all I can to be there.

Comment

• MarkG
                  • Apr 2011

JRR seems to be back to its normal (non-cinematic) format this Saturday

Alyn Shipton's selection of listeners' requests incudes jazz from Fats Waller.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                    JRR seems to be back to its normal (non-cinematic) format this Saturday

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03br08w
                    Its not over til the fat lady waves her torch.

But certainly back to the "tradition", an entire Spitfire wing of 'em in formation. The modernistic Mike Taylor trio track is excellent though. Fascinating album.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Don't take weekday gig attendance numbers for granted would seem timely advice worth proffering when it comes to getting to see limelighted figures in the jazz world of today at top venues.

I decided off the cuff to go along to Trish Clowes's gig at the Vortex last evening, where her quartet was opening for Tom Challenger's Brass Mask. On the door I was asked, had I booked? I said no, and was told apologetically that the place was already full; there was a long guest list, the bbc was there in numbers as it was to go out on Jon3, and in fact only 6 ordinary members of the public had managed to get bookings. I'd brought cards advertising the SE Collective (of which Trish is a founder member), and asked to have them displayed on the bar. At which point the guy - who was running the show - said maybe they could make an exception and squeeze me in. So, standing right next to the 6 ft 2 Liam Noble, I got to see the whole thing from the back, which was pretty much sardine-packed in. Trish's group, with Gareth Williams evidently depping for Gwylym Simcock and making an adequate job of it, played for about 40 minutes, mostly new material from what I could tell, Trish very much on form and at ease with her celebrity status, followed by a 20 minute break, and a much longer set for Brass Mask, a contemporary version of Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy I guess you could say.

Oh I should have mentioned from an ordionary punter pov that Kevin Le Gendre did the announcements and is a personally approacheable figure compared with Certain Others Who Shall Not Be Named?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

nice to hear that S_A; the gig and Mr Le Gendre .....

resurgence?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

nice to hear that S_A; the gig and Mr Le Gendre .....

resurgence?
                          His hair? - definitely!

Comment

Working...
                          X