X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Wes Montgomery re-born ? ~ staggering girl guitarist busking in Winchester

I've been absolutely staggered to hear a young girl playing along on electric guitar to an Aebersold-type recording in Winchester High Street this morning. At first I thought someone was playing a record but it turned out to be a teenager with armed with her guitar and amp performing Charlie Parker tunes. A few people stopped to listen , nearly all of whom were musicians themselves. The general impression was of disbelief and another bloke in the audience who played guitar professional himself was on his mobile arranging for a contact of his to come up from Ringwood to listen. I don't think she will remain unknown for too long.

Every Saturday morning you often hear groups perform in Winchester. It is not unusual as it is an "artistic" city but you don't tend to hear too much jazz. In this instance, is was extremely difficult to reconcile the confident and swinging lines with the rather bemused looking girl playing the instrument. A handful of people stopped to listen her rattle through a couple of Parker numbers ("Moose the mooche"), Coltrane's "Impressions" and a few standards. Her playing was staggering and I would agree with the comment made by another guitarist who was listening next to me that she was too good to busk. I don't think she realised quite how good she was - her phrasing was excellent and my acquaintance was staggered by her technique. She could fire off chorus after chorus including the octave style playing of Wes Montgomery. In my opinion, I've heard some good guitarists around the area but there it no one that I am aware of in this neck of Hampshire who can play to that standard. She said that she was self-taught.

I don't know if there is anyone else who lives in this part of the world but she is so good I would say she is worth a trip in the car just to hear her. Unfortunately I don't know anything else about her or what her name is but she is amazingly talented. I'm sure the word will eventally get out.

Can't find anything out about her on the Winchester gig guide.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Are you sure it wasnt the ghost of Emily Remler? Sounds impressive. All I get in my main street is some old drunken guy trying to sing like Sinatra...no, its not me.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

There was a young black guy neither of us recognised playing pretty good Wes-style electric guitar to a backing track at a choob intersection a couple of nights ago - not an uncommon sight in London, though my friend said we should drop him a quid each - but Winchester... hmmm.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
        • Dec 2010

What's her name?
        all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Bruce

I didn't catch her name as she is so soft-spoken and very shy. I've tried looking at the gig website for Winchester and she isn't mentioned there but I sent an e-mail to them to see if she played any gigs. i did try searching but the only reference I came up with was a twitter account which referred to an "amazing girl jazz guitarist." As I said in my initial post, one bloke was on his mobile frantically trying to get a mate who was in the music industry to drive up from the Forest to hear her. I understand that she also played last week but hadn't performed for a number of weeks due to injuring her wrist.

I will let you know if I find anything else about her - she was certainly several cuts above what you usually hear even amongst semi-pro bands.

Here are a couple of Winchester favourites / regulars for your entertainment:-

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

Red Jackson- often heard busking in Winchester but playing in Guildford in this clip:-

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
              Good to see Rick Wakeman's back to playing jazz again

Comment

Working...
              X