Anouschka Lucas: Jazz Singer or category error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Anouschka Lucas: Jazz Singer or category error?

Watching yesterdays Regional News on BBC 1, this lady suddenly came up for a mini-profile, having won Some Important Award or other I'd never heard of, natch, and I thought, hmmm, another would-be-star-in-the-making coming up on the inside lane, or, talent in the best sense of the word of some kind? And I thought, ah yes! the discerning Ian Thumwood will know!

mymzk.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, mymzk.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

That track has a jaunty, 60s feel to it.

Jazzwise, the UK's biggest selling jazz monthly and the leading English language jazz magazine in Europe, has changed the way jazz magazines look and think with a stunning editorial and design package that reaches out to both the new jazz audience and established fans – qualities that have led to it winning Jazz Publication of the Year at both the Parliamentary Jazz Awards and the Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Awards, and Best Jazz Media at the Jazz FM Awards.

Here she is chatting amiably on youtube (not to me), probably before the above announcement:

You spoke, we listened! We read every single question that came through. Huge apologies if your question was not asked but keep an eye out for the next inter...
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

to my ears she lacks a certain je ne sais
    quois .... not a Peyroux, less fun than Caro Emerald ....

i prefer Anita .... the hats man, the hats!
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 17-06-13, 19:00.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

SA

I'm afraid that I've never heard of her. She seems like a less hip version of Norah Jones and the music is too lightwieght and breezy to be jazz. I suppose the nearest equivalent would be someone like Gaby Moreno although I think the Guatamalean singer has more clout than Anouschka Lucas. She is certainly more informed by jazz but her last album "Postales" included such a wide range of styles from Piaf, Trad Jazz, 50-ish crooner-ish and 60's pop that she defies categories. Still, I think she has a terrific voice and I can vouch for her abilities at performing live.

I don't mind some of this kind of music by the likes of Norah Jones but it does ware thin pretty quickly. The first Norah Jones album has a few good tracks and the better elements are very good. Unfortunately, the weaker stuff is just too ordinary. The same applies to GM.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
        I don't mind some of this kind of music by the likes of Norah Jones but it does ware thin pretty quickly. The first Norah Jones album has a few good tracks and the better elements are very good. Unfortunately, the weaker stuff is just too ordinary. The same applies to GM.
        She's not a patch on her Dad
        (or even her half-sister )

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
          • Dec 2010

Mr Gonggong

Maybe, but she is easier on the eye.

This is perfectly acceptable pop:-

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

I like this one too:-

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
              • Dec 2010

I really like this one too. At least she doesn't wack her old man and dump the body in the lake as with the previous video!
              Not too sure about the dog though. It's more like a rat than a canine.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                Mr Gonggong

Maybe, but she is easier on the eye.
                Oh Please don't go into that mode

Complete segment available on KavitaChhibber.com till 14th October.Sitar: Anoushka ShankarViolin: Joshua BellTabla: Tanmoy BosePlease visit kavitachhibber.co...

I went to this gig
                a classic example of how mr Bell drags every note out with agony
                and the sublime Anoushka simply smiles and plays with utter fluidity and technical brilliance

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Indian classical music is something I respect rather than enjoy. I can appreciate the technical aspect and the complexity of it but unfortunately the lack of variety (excuse my ignorance) means that I don't really dig what they are playing. I feel the same about a lot of classical music too and can remember going to hear a Bax piano sonata performed and thinking what on earth was the point of that. It just wasn't a great piece of music and to practice and perfect something so ordinary seemed an odd bit of faith.

I think it's ok to be in to particular pop acts but not to expect too much. From experience I think that pop records tend to be a 1/3rd excellent, 1/3 very ordinary and 1/3 absolute dross that no self-resepcting "serious" musician would put out.A few weeks ago I was checking out Imogen Heep having been staggered at some of the recordings of her's I'd heard on Youtube. Snapping up the record, it was gutting to discover that there are some very inspired musical ideas on the record yet also tunes which you wonder why they were released as they are to the detriment of the artist.

The Moreno and Jones' tracks are simply good tunes and the music hangs together better than the Lucas efforts. I feel that the Norah Jones songs are pretty good and have nice arrangements. I originally liked Peyroux and her first album is terrific - how could it be anyhing else with the booting sax playing of James Carter. I didn't think she took the muisc too respectfully and was quite happy to toss ideas around and have a good time. However, I've also heard Melody Gardot perform live and although she seems to enjoy a sizeable fan base, for me she is pretty dreadful as an artist. I think these "fringe of jazz" singers are a mixed bunch and their records can be uneven.

Still, if you want a pop meets jazz hybrid, I think this lady takes some beating!! Impossible not to enjoy Angelique Kidjo - the music starts after about 4 mins. Don't know who the tromonist is, but he is brilliant :-

Comment

Working...
                  X