sometimes a squealin' clarinet or sobbin' saxophone and at others just a wind-song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

sometimes a squealin' clarinet or sobbin' saxophone and at others just a wind-song

Alyn still at the usual time does the Brits Part II, some interesting stuff in the second half and an eclectic mix of parrots in the first ...

Geoffrey does the fastest tenor in the west Johnny Griffin .... excellent coverage of the great tenorist's lifework and all in the most excellent company

Kevin liquorice man, liquorice ... it takes all sorts ...

Jez takes us to Leeds

Freewheeling jazz from a four-piece inspired by the music of American Westerns and distorted solo improvisations on rock-pop classics – the two collide inside the tiny top room of a city-centre pub at one of Fusebox's monthly nights in Leeds. Continuing Jazz on 3's celebration of contemporary jazz from around the UK, the double bill of Home Of The Brave and Chris Sharkey demonstrates why the Yorkshire city continues to uphold such a strong reputation for accomplished alternative music.

Headlining the night at the Fox & Newt, Home Of The Brave is the brainchild of Jazz Yorkshire's Musician of the Year in 2012, Richard Ormrod. The multi-reedsman has developed a love for the themes and harmonies of Western soundtracks by composers such as Bernstein and Morricone and with Paul Hession (drums), Jonny Flockton (guitar) and Rus Pearson (double bass) he brings something from those cinematic moods into this new experimental setting.

Over the last two decades the city of Leeds has become home to one of the country's liveliest indie and alternative rock scenes and guitarist Chris Sharkey represents a key point of intersection with the worlds of jazz and improvised music. Here heard apart from the members of improvising math-jazz outfits Collider and Trio VD of which he is a member, Sharkey's solo set nevertheless packs a powerful punch amidst the more meditative moments

try this brit
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Alyn_Shipton
    • Nov 2010

And as ever, my footnote to GSJ is to say there's an archive interview with the man himself (Griffin that is) though Geoff shared the interview with me - on Jazz Library http://castroller.com/podcasts/JazzLibraryA/3261925

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      Alyn still at the usual time does the Brits Part II, some interesting stuff in the second half and an eclectic mix of parrots in the first ...
      Evan Parker, Don Rendell and Humphrey Littleton in one programme: do androids dream of eclectic parrots.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Geoff Smith doing Johnny Griffin by rote. Why Oh Why, when there is a slew of really good and unusual Griff Riverside albums that NEVER get played. The Billie tribute with strings, the session with two basses, the Folk Song date with Barry Harris...could go on but I'm texting this in. Like Geoff.

BN

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

ah go on El Senor it never harms to repeat the obvious from time to time now does it?

it was not you but the ciggies that did for me breath .....
          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

OK, if anyone not currently sleep presenting on R3, is interested in a very good, not speed licking, highly thoughtful, unusual...two bass, french horn, drums, no piano, Griffin..."Change of Pace" 1961, on Riverside.

Send the fee to the usual pond.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

the In and Out album with Martial Solal is pretty fine too .....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                Excellent programme today; thanks to Alyn and all requesters.

Monday's Jon3 looks enticing too!

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

One of the best Jazz Record Requests I have heard.

Because it was well-focussed and the tracks were related musically to one another.

Of course it may have had something to do with those excellent fellows making the requests......

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                    One of the best Jazz Record Requests I have heard.

Because it was well-focussed and the tracks were related musically to one another.

Of course it may have had something to do with those excellent fellows making the requests......
                    most assuredly Oddball!

and i fell asleep listening to Johhny Griffin, good programme, as El Senor Blues says above, other recordings are available

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                      • Dec 2010

Watching Griffin's famous"return" gig at the Vanguard in 1971. Amazing stamina and invention with a group half his age...Drummond, Washington etc. Whisper, even more impressive than Dexter's return? There's a stunning "You leave me breathless" on UTube with Kenny Drew, NHOP and Art Taylor where Griff shows his Don Byas roots and his little remarked taste and beauty as a ballad player.

Gems, gems, gems.
                      BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

er the version at #5 above has Albert Heath on drums El Senor

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Mmmm, my bad!

Well, I expect he wore out Art and had to call in Tootie!

Art Taylor is another who did some magic stuff in Europe with Griff, Dexter and Hamp Hawes. He found his inner Elvin. Theres a clip of him on the John Lewis show in the States looking very hip and proud that his daughter had gone to Harvard I think.

BN.

Comment

Working...
                          X