• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Joe Albany ~ A Jazz Life

Just discovered this fascinating film about pianist Joe Albany on YouTube:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • charles t
    • Nov 2010

Rook: For what it's worth...I struck-up a conversation with a lady standing behind me, during a very lengthy wait at a Mario Puzo book-signing. Turned out to be Joe Albany's daughter - Amy.

She related to me her childhood memory of Albany bringing Charlie Parker to the house, so they could do their drugs.

(As she wore an apologetic smile during the sordid tale...)

Which she would, some years later, relate in her biography:

Comment

• Tenor Freak
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by charles t View Post
      Rook: For what it's worth...I struck-up a conversation with a lady standing behind me, during a very lengthy wait at a Mario Puzo book-signing. Turned out to be Joe Albany's daughter - Amy.

She related to me her childhood memory of Albany bringing Charlie Parker to the house, so they could do their drugs.

(As she wore an apologetic smile during the sordid tale...)

Which she would, some years later, relate in her biography:

http://www.amazon.com/Low-Down-Other...0107398&sr=1-1
      Hey Chas...er welcome back:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• charles t
        • Nov 2010

Thanks Bruce for the kind sentiments. (Johann) Sebastian is the greatest.

One week exactly from this posting, will be on the beach in Maui Hawaii...at a wedding.

er...I'm not sure what the point is, of typing that. Synchronicity, I suppose.

Comment

• grippie

Felix+Mendelssohn%27s+Hawaiian+Serenaders+play+%27Song+of+the+Islands%27+in+the+Pathe+Studio.

In the mood for Felix

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

yo Chas! how is the weather?

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• charles t
              • Nov 2010

Grippie! That bassist has chops to die for!

Comment

• charles t
                • Nov 2010

Calum: Thanks for the post. 'Weather' very much in the news in my area. A local fire in our community that has burned 25,000 acres and is not estimated to be contained until Friday June 6. But it is burning mostly up in the mountains.

(Reminds me of a few years back - up in Anchorage AK - smelling the forest-fire there that had burned over one million...count em...one million acres and being left to its own fate, as no structures threatened.)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

i don't want to be alarmist but that picture of the fire sure looks like a killer mad pussy on the loose Chas!

how are you doing with emusic? James carter, Dave Douglas, Eric Rava but mostly S American and Chamber music for me so far this year ... do believe they have some Joe Albany ...
                  According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• grippie

More like a fiery poodle

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Calum: Thanks for the post. 'Weather' very much in the news in my area. A local fire in our community that has burned 25,000 acres and is not estimated to be contained until Friday June 6. But it is burning mostly up in the mountains.

(Reminds me of a few years back - up in Anchorage AK - smelling the forest-fire there that had burned over one million...count em...one million acres and being left to its own fate, as no structures threatened.)
                      It will regenerate of its own accord - all that potash - and faster than would be the case here. Main problem's the amount of old wood destroyed, along with its harboured creepy-crawlies and other species, mounting up the ecological deficit.

Comment

• charles t
                        • Nov 2010

Calum: 2,100 firefighters on the scene - called The Powerhouse Fire.

Great interview with Dave Douglas in Downbeat which encapsulates the precariousness of the jazz world:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Calum: 2,100 firefighters on the scene - called The Powerhouse Fire.

Great interview with Dave Douglas in Downbeat which encapsulates the precariousness of the jazz world:

http://www.downbeat.com/digitalediti...t/DB201306.pdf
                          Wow! Thanks very much for going to the trouble to download it for us, Charles. Still probably the best jazz periodical!

Comment

• grippie

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Wow! Thanks very much for going to the trouble to download it for us, Charles. Still probably the best jazz periodical!

Comment

• charles t
                              • Nov 2010

Serialist/Grippie: Thank ye, all.

Comment

Working...
                              X