X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Version of 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66'

Whilst in Germany last week I heard on German radio a splendid version of 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66'. It was sung in English sultrily by a woman singer. I didn't catch the name of the singer and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by Stanfordian; 31-05-13, 19:52.
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Whilst in Germany last week I heard on German radio a splendid version of 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66'. It was sung in English sultrily by a women singer. I didn't catch the name of the singer and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?
    Is your version in the list here, Stanfordian?

Many years ago there was a fascinating documentary about the evolution of this song from gentle ballad as recorded by Nat King Cole to the more up tempo versions most of us grew up with. Much as I liked the Rolling Stones' version, the best IMV was that by Van Morrison's Belfast band Them, with its pounding boogie-woogie piano line.
    Last edited by Guest; 31-05-13, 09:55.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      Is your version in the list here, Stanfordian?

Many years ago there was a fascinating documentary about the evolution of this song from gentle ballad as recorded by Nat King Cole to the more up tempo versions most of us grew up with. Much as I liked the Rolling Stones' version, the best IMV was that by Van Morrison's Belfast band Them, with its pounding boogie-woogie piano line.
      Hiya Richard T,

Thank you. Well I don't recognise any of those on the list. I did actually look at it before. It was sung in a fairly laid back jazzy way somewhat in the style of Teri Roiger.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Whilst in Germany last week I heard on German radio a splendid version of 'Get Your Kicks on Route 66'. It was sung in English sultrily by a woman singer. I didn't catch the name of the singer and I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction?
        Nancy Sinatra?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          Hiya Oddball,

Thanks but no, I don't think it was Nancy Sinatra. I think I'll just have to call it a day with this one.

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Diana Krall and/or Natalie Cole seem to have several versions of this - otherwise the experts may have an idea.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
            Last edited by Quarky; 02-06-13, 12:21.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
              Daina Krall and/or Natalie Cole seem to have several versions of this - otherwise the experts may have an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnQTGdEHpIM
              Hello Oddball, Yes this seems like the version that I heard. Thank you for that information.

Comment

Working...
              X