Man has to be affected with happiness. It is a tonality given to him ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
    More podcast fun, if anyone wants to know more of the (pre NYC) Stanko story (thanks BBC Trust for insisting the Jazz Library podcasts were put online!) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00g3qzw
    Yes, particularly in view of the debacle about putting all of BBC recording archives onto the BBC computer network - a net loss of about £100M.

Don't know if anything can be salvaged from that project, but presumably the BBC has in its archives all of the Jazz Library programme broadcasts, and presumably every other Jazz programme broadcast by the BBC. I wonder if the management might be persuaded, if they feel they cannot broadcast more Jazz (best solution), to make available on-line more of this stuff, presently covered in cobwebs in the BBC vaults?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

it is an old maritime tradition Ian to stick the needle sewing the bag through the nose of the body just to make sure it ain't dead yet just smelling funny ....
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
        • Dec 2010

Warming to Claire Martin over the years. I liked her magazine approach this week, nice variety of items.

But George Benson imitating Nat Cole on Mona Lisa - is nothing sacred?

Comment

• grippie

Alyn_Shipton: If you are in need of a further fix of Brownie

Brownie bliss: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9wHyy5cX0

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

My 4 yr old nephew is developing a good taste in jazz and gave me the new Dave Douglas CD for my birthday the other week. I'm sure that everyone can agree on DD being one of the most consistent and brilliant trumpeters to have emerged in the last 20 years but he is now cemented a reputation as one of the best jazz composers too. The line up includes Jon Irabagon (from Calum's favs MOPDTK) and the excellent Rudy Royston on drums. I suppose the music is amongst DD's most approachable records that even the likes of a Bluesnik would surely appreciate. Great to hear younger players like Linda Oh in this band as well as pianist Matt Mitchell who was unknown to me until this quintet's earlier CD "Be Still." Really impressed with this musician and his flow of ideas.

Next up on the turntable, Imogen Heap.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              er i find him a bit pedestrian in an ecm boring kind of way oddball .... much prefer Wallace Roney
              I am an armchair Tomasz Stanko fan too. Probably the darkest-sounding trumpeter out there...
              Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 31-05-13, 00:57.
              all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

scored this on my emusic quota [along with Dave Douglas's Time Travel]

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                X