One grand boulevard with trees...one grand cafe in sun with strong black coffee ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

one arranger who did not quit having started on the Coast was Giuffre, fellow student of Rogers etc etc ...

thought i remembered you had a Herman bug Ian ... mostly i agree with you, but also with Oddball, earlier much better than later ...

btw Rogers did return to playing Jazz and touring ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

still no track list on JLU

and no list of award winners that Claire mentioned as up on the prog web site
      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 20-05-13, 11:00.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

Calum

Guiffre was employed as an arranger with Herman in the 1940's and he penned "Four Brothers." I'm a fan of Guiffre as a writer and an improvisor - clearly a musician who saw now distinction between big band writing and complete improvisation as a tool for creating valid jazz. Never heard the Stitt track but it is immediately obvious as a Guiffre score.

I agree that Woody's best work was in the 40's but he continued to make some great albums well in to the 1980's when the likes of John Fedchock was contributing arrangements. One of my favourites is an album called "Hey, heard the Herd?" which was on Verve and catches the band mid-50's and playing with the usual refreshing degree of abandon. I think Herman is someone who would generally get the admiration of most jazz musicians and especially those who worked for him.

Roger's later work is a bit hit and miss although I am only aware of a couple of algums post-1950's. One was an album of tunes in 3/4 which does include a terrific version of "I'm going to go fishing" (the clip below doesn't really do justice to the LP version) and a live effort with Vic Lewis that was recorded with NyJO at the Concorde Club which is pretty ordinary from recollection.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

Ian
          If you're only aware of a couple of albums from Shorty's later career, then I don;t see how you can describe it as "a bit hit and miss". It's a bit like the policemen who says, "he dunnit, m'lud, but we're a bit short of evidence". I did a four part series with Shorty on Radio 3 in 1992, and I think he was remarkably consistent. The best of the later albums are http://www.candidrecords.com/product...roducts_id=101 and http://www.candidrecords.com/product...roducts_id=101
          These do not appear to have been youtubed yet.
          Maybe BN has a cassette of the Radio 3 show?
          Some elements went on the Shorty Jazz Library: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b018593s
          and others on this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00g3q67

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

they used to be on youtube but i can not find them Alyn .....

listening to Ravi Coltrane, almost to the door and they got me with Skippy! thoughtful set though ...

Branford interview is a good listen, he is too often under rated or dismissed imv ... think his Footsteps of Our Fathers is an amazing album

was also thinking that the JLU piano duo was a tad ordinary, but it lived in the memory as a highly proficient and sometimes very cool set

a stimulating weekend of jazz on R3 and as Alyn mentions JRR is back where it belongs ...

Comment

Working...
            X