• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

'Free' (as in gratis) jazz at Wigmore.

I've just had the Wigmore newsletter about 'Wigmore lates' - the late night performances. Several jazz shows, all of which appear to be free - no ticket required. (Some may be a bit 'classical' ... or even ... I quote in full for the benefit of those in Lahndon):

Julian Bliss Septet
    Virtuoso clarinettist Julian Bliss and his band return to Wigmore Lates following the success of their critically acclaimed debut album – A Tribute to Benny Goodman. Expect a stylish and dynamic journey through the great tunes of the swing era.
    Friday 31 May 11.15pm
    Free (no ticket required)

Kairos 4tet
    Winners of the 2011 MOBO Award for ‘Best Jazz Act’, Kairos 4tet were described by the Evening Standard as ‘dedicated to the proposition that contemporary jazz can be cerebral, peaceful and yet still swing…..a classy project whose time has definitely come’.
    Friday 7 June 11.15pm

Trish Clowes saxophonist; Tangent Quartet
    Trish Clowes is at the apex of emerging jazz talent in the UK. Her latest album ‘And In The Night-Time She Is There’ was listed in the Guardian’s best albums of 2012, and the unique artistry of her Tangent Quartet has been described by Jamie Cullum as ‘British Jazz at its best’.
    Friday 14 June 11.15pm

Kit Downes Trio
    Described by Time Out as ‘one of the finest pianists of his generation’ and by Ivan Hewett in The Telegraph as ‘an exceptional talent’, Kit Downes’s reputation as one of the leading lights of contemporary jazz continues to grow.
    Friday 5 July 11.15pm

Dorian Ford Trio
    A regular collaborator with musicians such as Sebastian Rochford, Courtney Pine and Julian Joseph; Dorian Ford returns to Wigmore Lates with his trio, having brought an understated eloquence to last year’s series with his exploration of the music of Bill Evans.
    Friday 12 July 11.15pm

Must say the Wigmore Hall lay-out is not what I would associate with a jazz session
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

there are times when living in the provinces seems a tad dull; that concert series is a glittering delight and a real pain to miss!

very well done The Wigmore Hall is all one can say from here ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I've just had the Wigmore newsletter about 'Wigmore lates' - the late night performances. Several jazz shows, all of which appear to be free - no ticket required. (Some may be a bit 'classical' ... or even ... I quote in full for the benefit of those in Lahndon):

Julian Bliss Septet
      Virtuoso clarinettist Julian Bliss and his band return to Wigmore Lates following the success of their critically acclaimed debut album – A Tribute to Benny Goodman. Expect a stylish and dynamic journey through the great tunes of the swing era.
      Friday 31 May 11.15pm

Kairos 4tet
      Winners of the 2011 MOBO Award for ‘Best Jazz Act’, Kairos 4tet were described by the Evening Standard as ‘dedicated to the proposition that contemporary jazz can be cerebral, peaceful and yet still swing…..a classy project whose time has definitely come’.
      Friday 7 June 11.15pm

Trish Clowes saxophonist; Tangent Quartet
      Trish Clowes is at the apex of emerging jazz talent in the UK. Her latest album ‘And In The Night-Time She Is There’ was listed in the Guardian’s best albums of 2012, and the unique artistry of her Tangent Quartet has been described by Jamie Cullum as ‘British Jazz at its best’.
      Friday 14 June 11.15pm

Kit Downes Trio
      Described by Time Out as ‘one of the finest pianists of his generation’ and by Ivan Hewett in The Telegraph as ‘an exceptional talent’, Kit Downes’s reputation as one of the leading lights of contemporary jazz continues to grow.
      Friday 5 July 11.15pm

Dorian Ford Trio
      A regular collaborator with musicians such as Sebastian Rochford, Courtney Pine and Julian Joseph; Dorian Ford returns to Wigmore Lates with his trio, having brought an understated eloquence to last year’s series with his exploration of the music of Bill Evans.
      Friday 12 July 11.15pm

Must say the Wigmore Hall lay-out is not what I would associate with a jazz session
      Wigmore Hall has been trying with varying degrees of success to 'grow' its audience's diversity for several years now. Its programme Chamber Tots for babies/tots & their carers is phenomenally successful. Let's hope that these concerts achieve the same tho with WH's 'core' audience it could be interesting - flasks of Horlicks, packets of Viennese fancies to the fore - the only concert hall where the punters take their own pastry forks?

Mind, getting some of them to go home into the wee small hours might be a challenge - I bet the front-of-house staff are thrilled at this development

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

11.15 pms???

I'm afraid I'll be safely tucked up in bed.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          11.15 pms???

You could have the pick of the Boris Bikes for the homeward journey at that hour though, S_A?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            You could have the pick of the Boris Bikes for the homeward journey at that hour though, S_A?
            I wouldn't bother with those unweildy monstrosities 'cos I have my own, Ams. Just not sure I fancy cycling the 8 miles home in the wee hours - for one thing it would mess up the next day's schedules.

Comment

• Quarky
              • Dec 2010

Thanks for heads up.

Think I will make the effort to go to at least some of these free concerts. It is on my side of London, and at that time of night the A1/ M1 are empty. Wigmore Hall goes back on my list!

I did see a couple of years ago at Wigmore Hall, Marcus Roberts piano trio as part of the London Jazz festival. That worked quite well.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                11.15 pms???

Take a further scrute at the timings, S_A - quite a few are in fact starting at 22:00hrs and I assume that you can leave when you want to, so perhaps the seats nearer the back are the peaches for a silent getaway

Comment

Working...
                X