X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Benny Carter Further Definitions & Additions To Further Definitions

I love the style of the music in the Benny Carter albums Further Definitions and Additions To Further Definitions. But I'm not nearly as keen on Benny Carter's albums Jazz Giant, Swingin' the 20s, Sax ala Carter! and Aspects. I would value any recommedations for albums by performers with a similar style to Carter's Further Definitions and Additions To Further Definitions. I also quite enjoy Dexter Gordon's Doin' Allright, Dexter Calling, Go! and Our Man in Paris.
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

this masterpiece may appeal Stanfordian

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• clive heath

These two LPs by Benny Carter probably have no equal, although I do have four tenors ploughing through the changes with Shirley Scott at the Hammond. For me the next flowering of the alto in mainstream-melodic-modern sequence is Art Pepper, whose "Smack Up" (I didn't get it!) was my first serious Pepper LP. To be followed by "...meets the Rhythm Section" that of Miles Davis, and another Davis rhythm section accompanies Art on "Gettin' Together". "Modern Jazz Classics" arranged by Marty Paich is a medium sized group with marvellous Mel Lewis on drums. If you want a change from Miles' rhythm sections go for "Smack Up" with Jack Sheldon tmpt, Pete Jolly pno, Jimmy Bond bass and Frank Butler drums. Great Stuff! My less-serious first purchase featuring Pepper, Sheldon and Paich, none of whom I'd heard of, was "Mel Tormé and the Meltones" which in turn led on to "Mel Tormé sings Shubert Alley". Vocal Jazz not to all tastes, I know, but I'm a sucker for some of it.

You can dry run Art Pepper on another Marty Paich LP "Jazz West Coast" here.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
        • Dec 2010

The two "definitions" albums are very good. I think the first edges the second which, from recollection, features two different groups. My Dad has a 1980's by Benny Carter with a big band called "Central City sketches" which is also very good and features a range of Carter arrangements.

Carter always seems under-appreciated these days, especially if you consider his role in the history of big band arrangements from his days with Charlie Johnson onwards. He also wrote a large number of charts for Fletcher Henderson which tend to get over-looked and I'm always amazed how he managed to move with the times.

The Dexter Gordon Blue Notes can't be faulted either.

Comment

• John Wright
          • Mar 2007

Carter worked in Britain for a while, around 1936, made several much sought-after records with British jazzmen, but his purpose here was to write swingy arrangements for the BBC Dance Orchestra led by Henry Hall.

Unfortunately most of those arrangements were for the band to play in theatres during tours round the cities, so just a few of Carter's arrangements were recorded. I have only the record of one identified as Carter's. As a dance record it's good stuff, but I'm sure he will have written much better arrangements for the band that we have never heard. Folks on here will find it cheesy, particularly the vocal, but for 1936 there is something ahead of it's time in parts and general style for British dance music.

Henry Hall parted company with the BBC (as a band leader) in 1937, and the BBC allowed Henry Hall to keep all the band's arrangements, but so far we've not heard from the family if they have Benny Carter's scores.
          - - -

John W

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Compared to the other contributors, I know only a fraction, but it may be worth checking out the podcasts archived for Jazz Library, since I recall Alyn doing perhaps a series of programmes on Benny Carter.
            JazzLibAM 31 Aug 07: Benny Carter
            Fri, 31 Aug 07
            Duration:
            38 mins
            Saxophonist, trumpeter, singer, bandleader and arranger Benny Carter was one of the most complete musicians in jazz history, able to turn his talents to almost any challenge. In a recording career of eight decades, there are numerous highlights, and his friend and colleague Ken Mathieson joins Alyn Shipton to select the best. As well as Carter's European discs from the 1930s with his British band and with Django Reinhardt, the programme explores his big bands, his small group work, and his collaborations with the likes of Art Tatum and Teddy Wilson.

More than that, my memory is telling me that the Count Basie Benny Carter collaborations are well worth a listen.
            Last edited by Quarky; 09-05-13, 09:15.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

in action

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X