X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

John Hollenbeck Plays Ornette & Queen

It is only April and already 2013 is looking like a really good year for jazz records. The latest offering I've snapped up is a real killer and features John Hollenbeck fronting the Frankfurt Radio Big Band. A former student of the great Bob Brookmeyer, this offering by the drummer / arranger features a couple of vocalists - his usual cohort Theo Bleckmann and the rather odd choice of Kate McGarry.

The record has only just arrived this evening and the few tracks I've listened to are terrific. In my opinion, John Hollenbeck is a musician who is genuinely redefining what jazz can do. In parts, the music borrows a lot from contemporary classical music and anyone who is into the likes of Mark Anthony Turnage will want to check this CD out. The repertoire is eclectic to say the least mixing Ornette Coleman's beautiful "All my life" (Sounding like it has escaped from "Miles ahead" )with "Wichita Lineman" and the traditional song "Man of constant sorrow." So far, the most amazing chart has to be the re-working of Queen's "Bicycle Race." Of all the rock groups of the 70's and 80's, I think Queen probably had a better handle of musicianship than their contemporaries but I would have thought their music would still have been outside the possibilities of jazz. In Hollenbeck's hands, the music becomes far more strident and confidently dissonant . The arrangement picks up on Queen's cod-operatic tendancies and the tune is turned on it's head with the arrangement morphing into odd-meters and chaotic brass with Hollenbeck even soloing on the spikes of a bicycle in a pretty bizarre solo. A concluding riff the makes it's appearance that will baffle most Queen fans with the theme then sung at half tempo by McGarry and Bleckman.

For my money Hollenbeck is turning out to be a hugely creative individual and whilst purists may not be convinced, i would suggest that his writing abilities are totally original and offer a path to where jazz might head in the future. This is one of the best and most creative albums of the year so far.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

Having played through this disc this week it is difficult not to be impressed. The collection (Called "Songs I like a lot" - really!!) is pretty varied and is largely made up of other people's music. "The moon's a harsh mistress" also recalls Gil Evans but the big band electronica of "Fallslake" is pretty bizarre even by Hollenbeck's own standards. That said, the best track by far is a rollicking version of "Man of constant sorrow" which is absolutely terrific and re-casts the old country song firmly in to the contemporary era.

This is a hugely agreeable album and consistant with Hollenbeck;s desire to write the kind of big band music that yoiu wona't find in your father's collection. Having also listened to Andrew Hill's big band album "Beautiful Day" this week, it is a very interesting contrast with Hollenbeck's music borrowing from a range of inspirations to create something fresh and original whilst Hill's music is equally idiosyncratic yet an extension of his piano playing. It's interesting the amount a space Hill gives the soloists (there are no real elements of "section work" and plenty of unaccompanied saxophone solos) whereas Hollenbeck soloists seem part of the arrangements. Both styles seem "progressive" to my ears and no less enjoyable for their markedly different approach to jazz.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Review of this album. Probably one of the strongest albums of the year even with competition from Shorter and Nicole Mitchell's latest also beleived to be sensational :-

John Hollenbeck: John Hollenbeck: Songs I Like a Lot album review by C. Michael Bailey, published on April 23, 2013. Find thousands jazz reviews at All About Jazz!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

i await its appearance on emusic Ian
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
        X