Consider Phlebas .... but that is another story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

...sounds like an Ellingtonian and could have held down the trumpet chair in any Mingus band ... thanks for that Ian

why did you think it was curious to like the bass player of the same name ..
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
      • Dec 2010

Calum

The bass-playing Cohen struck me as being pretty approachable and perhaps even commercial. The first time they played I felt their music was pretty lightweight but once you start to pay attention it eventually grabs you. Of the hundreds of live gigs I've been to in France, I think Cohen was better received by any other jazz musician and that would include the lies of giants such as Pat Metheny , Dianne Reeves or Herbie Hancock. It is odd to find what kind of jazz appeals to these various audiences as some of the more oobvious groups are always as well received as some pretty obscure stuff.

I like this trio although casn appreciate why others might not be quite as enthusiastic:-

Comment

Working...
      X