The insatiable thirst for everything which lies beyond ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The insatiable thirst for everything which lies beyond ....

Alyn does baroque jazz on JRR and not the usual suspects [well not altogether] i am especially keen to hear Roland Kirk and also the John Kirby group plus the marvellous Dowland album that involved John Surman

Geoffrey does The Hawk a massive figure in the history of Jazz and prodigious drinker .. key track for me is not Body And Soul, though tis great, but The Man I Love for Oscar Pettiford and Hawk's soloing, as Benny Green [i think] once noted nobody was going to stop him on this one ....

Kevin has a mixed bag and features a gig by "by the Quentin Collins/Brandon Allen Quartet, recorded at the 2012 Scarborough Jazz Festival. The melodic playing of trumpeter Collins and saxophonist Allen are supported by the funky driving force of Italian drummer Enzo Zirilli and organist Ross Stanley."

Jon3 is devoted to the late twentieth century in jazz and improvised music ....

The ICP Orchestra

Pianist Misha Mengelberg and drummer Han Bennink have been instantly composing together for half a century in the Instant Composers Pool Orchestra, one of the world's longest-running improvisation projects. The ten-piece ensemble that they co-founded draws on the jaunty swing of Blue Note-era musicians such as Herbie Nichols and Thelonious Monk within avant-garde parameters: the pieces often have no pre-ordained structure, and the players can inject 'viruses', or themes known by the group, at any point in proceedings. The music veers from the arthouse to the circus, with a sense of surprise never far away.

serious listening there folks .... lend them yer lobes ....
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

That Quentin Collins/Brandon Allen gig looks rather good. There are some live pieces on Utube...a bit like Larry Young's "Unity"date with Henderson and Woody Shaw.

Worth staying awake for. Under the duck duvet. Avec les ducks.

BN.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
      That Quentin Collins/Brandon Allen gig looks rather good. There are some live pieces on Utube...a bit like Larry Young's "Unity"date with Henderson and Woody Shaw.

Worth staying awake for. Under the duck duvet. Avec les ducks.

BN.
      You've "covered" it well, Bluesie.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
        • Dec 2010

Duvet = Pay back time for the mallards.

Quentin C. looks a useful player...hope they stick to the Unity groove and dont funk around.

BN..

Comment

• Quarky
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
          Alyn does baroque jazz on JRR and not the usual suspects [well not altogether] i am especially keen to hear Roland Kirk and also the John Kirby group plus the marvellous Dowland album that involved John Surman

Alyn's programme extremely cleverly constructed. Let's hope that it gets the thumbs up from the patricians of Radio 3. On this basis, I don't think Alyn is fit only for feeding to the lions.

But I now know why Jaques Loussier quickly pales. Very weak improvisational talents imv.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

But I now know why Jaques Loussier quickly pales. Very weak improvisational talents imv.
            yep the early stuff that so beguiled as hip in the sixties is really cludgy; after M Loussier started working with a percussionist [Luc Heller] on Pulsion and other projects his later classical pastiches became more rhythmically nimble i feel

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
              • Dec 2010

When I saw him in the mid 60s in Bristol he had the superb Pierre Michelot on bass, and I think, Chris Garros on drums....worth sitting thro Jolly Jaqooos japes for the bass alone.

BN.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

abslolut! El Senor! the bass does something special here eh?

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                  • Dec 2010

Waste of time saying again, but a series on French jazz is something R3 could have delivered...as I said, waste of time/space.

BN.

I've just snagged Barney Wilen's Essential Ballads from the Paris Jazz record shop and it is superb. Aint a baroooook moment in sight. Le Barney doing a Marsh meets Rollins.

Comment

Working...
                  X