• Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jazz History .... of The Basie Band

as it should be told .....

go vipers!

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

Indeed! That opening clip is Buddy D Franco, Wardell, Clark Terry and Serge Challoff? Harlem Jazz Fest...made for short lived"film juke boxes"...it also features Hampton, Joe Turner and Amos Milburn. Joy!

Just great. Many thanks.

BN.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
      • Nov 2010

Great to see all those fellows round the table - done a while back now before Frank Foster's death. In case nobody has spotted it, there is my 1999/2000 series on Basie available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHaF8AGQBA Links to the rest easily followable after the first one...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
        Great to see all those fellows round the table - done a while back now before Frank Foster's death. In case nobody has spotted it, there is my 1999/2000 series on Basie available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHaF8AGQBA Links to the rest easily followable after the first one...
        I mised that one at the time, so thanks very much, Alyn.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

I've had to play some Basie charts (those written by Neal Hefti such as Cute or Splanky)...they are not easy to play...the kind of precision he could get from his bands is not easy to achieve so maximum respect...
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Rcartes
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            Indeed! That opening clip is Buddy D Franco, Wardell, Clark Terry and Serge Challoff? Harlem Jazz Fest...made for short lived"film juke boxes"...it also features Hampton, Joe Turner and Amos Milburn. Joy!

Just great. Many thanks.

BN.
            No Serge Chaloff in this: it's one of the Snader telescriptions by the Basie Septet with Clark Terry, Buddy de Franco, Wardell Gray, Count Basie, Freddie Green, Jimmy Lewis and Gus Johnson. Details from James Accardi's Wardell discography at http://wardellgray.org/discography.html
            Last edited by Rcartes; 16-10-13, 23:38. Reason: Dumb mistake, more material added

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

The thread reminds me that I lost the off-tv recording of the Basie band in the Jazz at the Maltings series, particularly loved because it had a rare alto solo by Marshall Royal on All Heart. Can't find it on You tube but I have another recording issued commercially of similar vintage with the same piece and soloist but I still pine for the lost performance.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

this may console gradus
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

... and this does it for me; most likely a Quincy Jones chart, but Mr Royal is in fine form....

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Dear Calum, many thanks for posting these lovely seemingly effortless lyrical performances from MR. I think the second is from the same period - c1968 - as my lost tape. I wish I'd seen the band live.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

a real pleasure as in the process i discovered a stunning dld bargain on amazon of early Quincy Jones big band sides [Complete Recordings 1960 - 1962 for £3-99p] and have been purring away to Phil Woods version of Midnight Sun as well as Marshall Royal

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

That is a bargain, I think the tracks were unavaillable for some years.
                        Two of the original releases on Mercury were the first jazz albums that I bought way back in 1959/60. Birth of a Band appealed because it included the theme tune used for 'Cool For Cats (Kent Walton, Una Stubbs etc). The Great Wide World of Quincy Jones was released the following year. The albums have sleeve notes by Basie ('He likes quiet easy music like I do') and Dizzy ('I'm sure Quincy knows that the best way to keep a band in shape is to keep getting it new music'). Both competent commentators.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                          That is a bargain, I think the tracks were unavaillable for some years.
                          Two of the original releases on Mercury were the first jazz albums that I bought way back in 1959/60. Birth of a Band appealed because it included the theme tune used for 'Cool For Cats (Kent Walton, Una Stubbs etc). The Great WiCkde World of Quincy Jones was released the following year. The albums have sleeve notes by Basie ('He likes quiet easy music like I do') and Dizzy ('I'm sure Quincy knows that the best way to keep a band in shape is to keep getting it new music'). Both competent commentators.
                          Ckout the Jazz Manifesto cheopo 2cd set of Q's jazz sides...Go West and How I feel about jazz albums ...plus.

27 tracks of great goodness....I got my five a day in HMVs for £4.99 about two months ago. Woods, Adderley, Stitt, Art Farmer..Mmmmmmmmmmm...

BN.

Comment

Working...
                          X