X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elmo
    • Nov 2010

Mr PC

About a third of the way through a new book about the wonderful bassist Paul Chambers, the book is called Mr. P.C. the life and work of Paul Chambers by Rob Palmer.
    I have always loved the drive and swing that PC brought to every session he was on, Miles first quintet is reviewed in depth and perhaps it will reinforce with people just how important he was to the success of that group. As great as all the musicians were in that band I often find my atttention is focussed on PC, Rob Palmer also outlines the importance that Paul played in the Miles/Gil sessions - I have played Miles Ahead and Porgy and Bess again and I was amazed that I had not picked up on this before.
    The book is well researched and it has got me pulling out those classic albums by the likes of Trane, Jackie Mac, Hank Mobley, Sonny Clark et al

"Chambers lives"

Elmo
  • BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

I have to agree with all that, he was a truly wonderful "springing" bassist, and his double stopping on Miles' ballads was just superbly placed.

I've got a tape interview with Art Pepper where he says that when they recorded "Whims of Chambers" together in 1960, as they came out of the head into Art's solo, Paul dropped right to the very bottom of the bass and began slowly walking up. Pepper says he was so blown away by how perfect that was he had to stop playing. He had enormous regard for him.

BN.
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 21-03-13, 00:29.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
      • Dec 2010

BTW, "Fame!"ish. I used to work with one of his (many?) girlfriends. She went to the Berlin jazz fest with him. Fond memories, lots of stories.

BN.

Comment

• elmo
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        BTW, "Fame!"ish. I used to work with one of his (many?) girlfriends. She went to the Berlin jazz fest with him. Fond memories, lots of stories.

BN.
        Apparently he was quite a ladies man - liked an occasional sherry also.

Liked the Art Pepper quote - that Meets the Rhythm section was one hell of a record

Quote from Bassist Peter Bernstein about PC on "Milestones
        It just killed me. that and the way he walks on the tune "Milestones" that, his line to me, I was hypnotised, you know. I just woke up singing it every morning; I just couldn't get away from it. So that's when I really started to study him, was after I heard that record. I think I learned that solo from "Straight no chaser" first.

elmo

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Forgive me, but when I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about Amateur51.

we avoid personal narkiness on the jazz forum mr pee .... no more please!
          the management
          Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 21-03-13, 15:14.
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
            • Dec 2010

Yes, he did have a drink problem, a kind of sloppy drunk. Miles said he'd go into a bar and order a mix of all the optics in one glass, and then ..... Eddie Henderson said that was (one) of the reasons Miles rarely played last sets. Paul would be so smashed by then he'd be dragging the tempo.

The Pepper album is "Getting Together" by the way, with Paul, Wynton and Jimmy Cobb....One of Arts favs.

BN.

Doug Watkins was his cousin, another very fine player taken too soon.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

there is a terrific set [if you could afford it] on Mosaic of all the Chambers and Wynton Kelly Vee Jay recordings ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

There are two Paul Chambers/Art Blakey "duets" in the Mosaic box that are said to be really remarkable. Recorded while waiting for a Sonny Clark
                session to get set up.

Michael Cascuna found them on a reel when he was going thro all the Bluenote tape boxes in the vault.

BN.

Comment

• elmo
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                  There are two Paul Chambers/Art Blakey "duets" in the Mosaic box that are said to be really remarkable. Recorded while waiting for a Sonny Clark
                  session to get set up.

Michael Cascuna found them on a reel when he was going thro all the Bluenote tape boxes in the vault.

BN.
                  Those two tracks - "what is this thing called love" and " I have got my love to keep me warm" were also on a single cd release by Art called "Drums around the corner"
                  I have got the cd somewhere so I am going venture into the shelves and see if I can track it down - I have no cataloging skills whatsoever

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                    • Dec 2010

Just dug out my copy of Herbie Hancock's "Inventions and Dimensions" from 63 which has some great Chambers in a kind of Ron Carter role. And as co-composer with Le Herbie.

BN.

"Bass on Top" Bluenote and "Go" VeeJay, are now both on Utube in full...the later a lovely laid back bluesy date with Cannonball.
                    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 22-03-13, 11:15.

Comment

Working...
                    X