X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

John

Don't know if you were aware of this singer but here is a record by Cab Calloway's older sister Blanche. According to Schuller, she was supposed to have been an influence upon her borther's own unique singing style. she reminds me a bit of the tracks Sister Rosetta Tharpe made with Lucky Millinder. Here is a track by her romping big band:-

Comment

• John Wright
      • Mar 2007

Ian, yes, I know of and have heard Blanche Calloway, she made about thirty records with her own band in 1931-1935, and certainly sounds like Cab picked up on her style, there's also a rare Vocalion from 1929 that she made with Reuben Reeves'band, you can hear one side on youtube, the other side was Moanin' Low.
      - - -

John W

Comment

• John Wright
        • Mar 2007

And another lady jazz singer, an Australian who made records in Britain in the 1930s, Marjorie Stedeford

- - -

John W

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Brazilian pianist and singer Eliane Elias. Personally I prefer her as a pianist to a singer, but others may disagree.

"Swept Away", an instrumental set she co-led with Marc Johnson, was one of my favourite releases of last year: http://player.ecmrecords.com/johnson

Comment

• John Wright
            • Mar 2007

Ivy Benson. Brit who led an all girls band 1939-.... Have to say all the records I have by her band are a bit sweet, but there's some impressive arrangements going on and she always does a cool solo, she was cool before cool.

On youtube a typical recording is How Sweet You Are but for a showcase 'jazz' clip look at this

- - -

John W

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Kate Westbrook on tenor horn in the Mike Westbrook band comes to mind.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Barbara Thompson and Paraphernalia are who introduced me to jazz, along with Andy Sheppard. Many happy evenings in the Solent Suite, under the Guildhall in Southampton as a student in the 70s...

aah - them were't days

OG

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Barbara Thompson and Paraphernalia are who introduced me to jazz, along with Andy Sheppard. Many happy evenings in the Solent Suite, under the Guildhall in Southampton as a student in the 70s...

aah - them were't days

OG
                  Andy Sheppard was only just about around in the late 70s - in the band Sphere, (not his band btw). I think he played more excitingly back in them daze...

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

and remember, Andy played loadsa with ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
                      • Nov 2010

Picking up on the Blanche Calloway references above, her career was quite remarkable, including hiring such upstarts as Ben Webster as he was starting out. I have done what I think is the most comprehensive research on her yet in a recent book about her brother. http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9...o#.UT3ako7-JSU

Comment

Working...
                      X