X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Gigi Gryce ~ 30th anniversary

The underrated altoist, composer and arranger Gigi Gryce died 30 years ago on March 14, 1983(according to his fascinating biography 'Rat Race Blues' by Noal Cohen & Michael Fitzgerald).
    I thought it would be interesting to have a thread featuring some of his recorded compositions(there are about 80 in all). Here's probably his most famous, 'Nica's Tempo' from Gigi Gryce & The Lab Quintet:

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
    • Dec 2010

My fav is "Social Call", to which Jon Hendricks put very apt lyrics and also Betty Carter sang very affectingly back in the day.

One of the good guys.

BN.

The Jazz Baroness DVD and the wonderful book of her New York apartment jazz polaroids are WELL worth checking out for a snatch of Gigi land. And Miles in his old vest, Monk topless!
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 04-03-13, 12:29.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

loved this album

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Jazzrook
        • Mar 2011

'Minority' from The Hap'nin's:

"The Hap'nin's/ Gigi Gryce"1960 Prestige/ New Jazz Records

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Listening again to Minority...very struck by just how good that band was...all, but esp Richard Wyands.

BN.

Comment

• Jazzrook
            • Mar 2011

Another Gigi Gryce favourite of mine:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
            X