Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

oddly, a customer of mine was recommending Herbie Mann today.
    No idea what he is like. worth bothering with?
    Cheers !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

see #55 ts
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

cheers Jazzer...I did skim, but obviously missed it.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

I think someone's already mentioned Sonny Fortune?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            cheers Jazzer...I did skim, but obviously missed it.
            Ida thought you would have heard of Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Teams!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Ida thought you would have heard of Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Teams!
              i was just wondering who would mention that lot first....

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Gail Thompson's Jazz Africa http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazz-Africa/...ef=dm_cd_album

Cracking jazz flute - first heard on Humph's Best of Jazz in the 90s - I ordered the CD on the strength of hearing one track.

Much more here

OG

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

Quick "heads up" for Jazzrook!!!

I've been playing the new Nicole Mitchell CD "Aquarius" this week and have to say that it is another amazingly brilliant album. The line up is a quartet that includes Adam Adasiewizc on vibes and the jazz press has been piling on the platitudes and making comparison with "Out to lunch." I would have to say that it is nowhere as near as strident as the Dolphy record yet the whole record sounds very much like a lot of the experiment jazz Blue Note put out in the 60's. (Think Sam Rivers, BH, Andrew Hill, etc, etc.) Adasiewizc is very much in Bobby Hutcherson mode yet the flute playing is breath-taking. It is staggering the range of sounds that Mitchell coaxes out of her flute.

Overall, the tunes are intelligent and often feature labyrinthine lines. The tracks do swing although the title track is very abstract. I like "Sunday Afternoon" best which has a shuffle-feel to it and the closing tribute to the late Fred Anderson is fantastic too.

This is going to be one of the best records of 2013 and certainly in Jazzrook territory and also something I feel that Bluesnik will love as well. This isn't necessarily a typical track but it is beautiful none-the-less:-

Comment

Working...
                  X