X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

George Gruntz ~ RIP

Picking up on the link Calum post from the Guardian I was saddened to hear of the passing of one of my heroes, the brilliant arranger and bandleader, George Gruntz.

Swiss pianist, composer and bandleader famed for his innovative Concert Jazz Band

I had never heard of him until a local record shop proprietor gave me an ECM catalogue which featured details of Gruntz's album "Theatre" - I later acquired a copy of this from Mole JAzz which revealed it to be an idiosyncratic Gil Evans' inspired big band featuring a number of Free-ish Europeans and more "mainstream" Americans such as Mark Egan , Davbe Bargeron and the singer Sheila Jordan. This record was sensational, (especially "El Chancho" ) and I was on a quest to snap up as many of his records as possible., I've quite a few in my collection but I never got to see his perform live with his star-studded aggregations.

From the early days of big band writing, certain arrangers acquire reputations for their writing with the likes of Benny Carter being celebrated for his scoring for saxophones. For me, no one arranged for trombones / sousaphones likes Gruntz and combined with the use of reeds, his writing had a ricjness and depth about it that marked his out amongst his contemporaries. He also had a great sense of humour and was not afraid to incorporate arabic or Russina influence in his scores which frequently were of compositions by band members. Tracks like "Mexacali pose" became contemporary big band classic.

The roster of musicians who passed through his ranks was incredible. Elvin Jones, Joe Henderson, Kenny Wheeler, Alex Sipiagin, Django Bates, Donny McCaslin, Ray Anderson (who made a superb record with Gruntz's big band in the early 1990s), Dave Leibman, Tim Berne, Chris Hunter and Luis Bonilla have all plated in his band. Here is a clip of the band is concert - also playing "Mexacali Pose" for the brilliant album "Merryteria."

I'm saddened to hear of his passing as Goerge Gruntz was a composer who made the world better with his hard swinging and always entertaining music. As far as I am concerned, he was one of the greatest bandleaders post-war and one of my heroes. The greatest Swiss since William Tell.
  • Ian Thumwood
    • Dec 2010

More GG with Elvin and Tom Harrell:-

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

We should have heard more of his music over here, Ian. Correction: I should have heard more.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

er i think we is a more accurate statement S_A!
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Alyn_Shipton
          • Nov 2010

I did a World Service programme with him in 2002. A really interesting - if somewhat solipsistic interviewee. Unfortunately the powers that be in Bush House threw the tape away. I might have a cassette copy somewhere - but now there's nowhere obvious to get it aired...

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
            • Dec 2010

SA / Calum

When I was about 18 I was obsessed with Gil Evans and picked up the album "Theatre" because I was told that they were very similar. From the point of view of the mid 80's you can appreciate the similarity with the richness of the writing but Gruntz was never interested in synthesizers or rock and in someways was more "traditional" or atleast in keeping with the kind of writing Evans was doing in the 50's albeit it was always contemporary. It is strnage that "Theatre" appeared on EVM as it is totally the opposite to what you would expect from this label, even in it's 70's / 80's heyday. An even better record is "First prize" which was voted Record of the Year by a Japanese jazz magazine and includes some brilliant and witty writing as well as the defining version of Kenny Wheeler's "Everybody's song but my own." A lot of his writing is very witty and his records are always enjoyable if difficult to get hold of now. I would either go for "First Prize" or "Merryteria". There was a compilation of his recordings fro MPS made in the 70's which is also very good including a brilliant version of Ornette's "Lonely Woman." The Ray Anderson "Big Band Album" which also feature's Gruntz' band in a collection of originals is fabulous and maybe the most "left field" think he was involved in. This would appeal to anyone who likes big band jazz but is open to the music going in to some interesting places whilst resoluted refusing to be too academic. Even when he takes on board more "serialist" ideas, the arrangements will probably be dressed up as a New Orleans marching band!

Effectively, if you love big band jazz (and there is a lot of soloing in these records by some extremely good soloists) and what something that is interesting rather than a challenge, you will not be disappointed with his records. It is a job to guage where to place him as he had his own distinctive and very rich style. I'd say he was more "modern" / contemporary than Thad Jones / Mel Lewis but not subverting traditions like John Hollenbeck. Basically, the records are just really good fun and feature both great writing and fantastic soloists.

Here is a later edition of his band playing Monk and some charts from his then recent albums:-

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...thanks Ian
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                ...thanks Ian
                Seconded!

Comment

Working...
                X