X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

the JLU playlist resolutely lists Mr Tamburr as playing piano .... oh why do we care they just can not be arsed can they?

pleasant but rather tranquil and predictable performace
    Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 25-01-13, 19:53.
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Quarky
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
      I thought that was a super piano trio gig so thanks Jezzer for that one.

With Django there's a strong streak of anarchism which I think he puts in to break things up and becoming too polished. This trio gives a good example of that - after all there are loads of phenomenal piano trios out there at the moment, and if he played all the music straight it would just sound like the others; it may as well be Jarrett playing Bird (not that there's anything wrong with that).
      After playing Django on Jon3 half a dozen times, feel I'm making headway with him. Having to hang onto every note in order to follow, but this reminded me of the way I got into the piano music of Schoenberg and late Brahms. So there seems a very strong intellectual content with Django's music - no wonder the Continentals like him.

Might break my embargo on buying new CDs for this guy.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

the Django Bates Beloved Trio were awesome .... flipped me coconuts Dolores ...
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Tenor Freak
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          After playing Django on Jon3 half a dozen times, feel I'm making headway with him. Having to hang onto every note in order to follow, but this reminded me of the way I got into the piano music of Schoenberg and late Brahms. So there seems a very strong intellectual content with Django's music - no wonder the Continentals like him.

Might break my embargo on buying new CDs for this guy.
          I don't know how familiar you are with the original repertoire, Oddball. It may help your understanding of what Bates is up to if you know more straight-ahead versions of "Hot House" or "Donna Lee".
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

• Tenor Freak
            • Dec 2010

For example, going right back to the original source:

Comment

• Tenor Freak
              • Dec 2010

Or maybe this:

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                I don't know how familiar you are with the original repertoire, Oddball. It may help your understanding of what Bates is up to if you know more straight-ahead versions of "Hot House" or "Donna Lee".
                Thanks for the links Tenor Freak.

Answer is I could be a lot more familiar with Bird's original recordings. I did play the original recording of Bird's Confirmation (in fact there is a play along version at half speed available), and this helped a lot.
                But when Django is improvising at full steam (balls-out!), I found my best option was just to listen to the notes, and forget about the rhythm section.

But it looks as though I will have to invest in a Django CD, as Jon3 session is now out of time. If nothing else, it will increase familiarity with Charlie Parker!

Comment

Working...
                X